02/25

That night Einar dreamed of them. Their faces were not well defined, nor were their voices. He dreamed of that day. But this time he managed to bid them farewell. They responded to Einar that he would live better without them because they knew their memory would continue to cause Einar pain.— Einar, I love you, and I will always love you. Please move on, I can't bear seeing you like this, knowing it's all my fault, our fault — these were the last words Einar heard in his dream before waking up.Einar suddenly sat up, having forgotten the entire dream but with a terrible feeling. A tear ran down his face. He didn't even notice it; he was focused on staring into space. He remained in that position for about half an hour. Then he decided he needed to do something, so he got up and went to wake Eldur.— Eldur, we need to check the house — Einar said gently. He had checked his schedule the day before, and today it was his turn for house maintenance.Eldur, upon hearing the word "check," jumped up excitedly and threw himself onto Einar, overjoyed.Einar and Eldur performed various checks for house maintenance, and Einar made sure everything was in the best condition. Not considering any maintenance work necessary, they spent the rest of the day playing in the woods. Einar's jacket caught on a branch and tore near the pocket.Einar was stunned; something like this had never happened to him before, but he should have anticipated that after ten years in the forest, eventually even his clothes would start to wear out and need maintenance. Sure, he had had some clothes and shirts wear out, but he hadn't paid it much mind, as he wouldn't be seeing anyone anyway.But for his jacket to be ruined, that had never happened before. Fortunately, Einar also knew how to sew; one of the people who had lived with him ten years earlier had taught him. So Einar went to his study, where he kept his precious memories. He took the sewing box, which was now quite dusty, blew on it, and opened it.He took needle and thread and began to make amends for his distraction. After a few minutes, the jacket was repaired; no one would notice the difference between the jacket before and how it was now. Einar, satisfied with his work, was lulled for the first time by sweet memories of them, especially of sewing.Throughout all this, Eldur remained by his side, watchful and attentive. Sitting at his feet, he listened to the crackling of the fire.