.Never Again.A Short Story

"Teesplin B944!" A voice boomed from above. I scurried my legs up the rough wood, my feet sticking to every nook and cranny crevice. Light was dim, and while my brain could make sense of the hundreds of little circles, faraway things were a mere blur in the distance.

I traveled a few feet, growing tiresome. "Sub-Sore Z199, I am reporting for duty!" I saluted to my mouth, as far as my front leg could reach, and dipped my head down in respect. My antennae just brushed the ground as I did so.

"You have been promoted to my assistant, B912 was killed in this never-ending war." He beat his wings, sending radio waves to me. The signal transmitted to my own wings, and in the form of vibration it was a primitive form of communication.

"What would you like me to do first, sir?" I saluted again, and a cluster of hair-plates tickled my eye. I tried not to wince.

"First order of business, we send spies on those humans. Send a message to Uron 5XX and Uron 6ZX. Make sure it isn't intercepted." The general turned his gaze away from me, and began to shout at another one of his assistants.

I furiously rubbed my wings together, summoning the pair of Meadowhawk dragonflies. They were larger than me, which instinctually made me nervous, but we were all part of the same war. Their streamlined copper-red bodies reflected the setting sun, and the Uron's glassy wings blew air into my face.

"Sub-Sore wants you to investigate the humans, be spies!" I explained, "He'll most likely want you back at dawn." My wings were growing tired from the constant shaking and vibrating, but this was important. More important than a hundred roach lives like my own. This was for all insects, everywhere.

The fliers glanced at one another, and then nodded their large heads. 5XX took off first, and her mate was following close behind toward the human base.

After the nuclear war that humans had created, they went to a strange place called 'space,' that even our highest-flying insects couldn't manage to get to. It had been so long, there had been 18,000 generations of roaches in the time they were away. Or more precisely, 6,000 years. Now we were bigger, stronger, and far smarter than our ancestors with nothing to stop us.

And now the humans had the nerve to reclaim what is now ours? Well, they'd better expect a fight out of us!

Never again, would humans rule the planet. Never again, would they squash us, and murder us, and farm us for their reptilian sidekicks. Never again would they experiment on us, and create insecticide to burn us alive.

"Teesplin!" Sub-Sore Z199 screamed, "The mosquitoes are on their way! If I die, you're the next in command, got it?"

"Yes sir!"

"Got any suggestions on how to lure those humans out of their holes?"

"A load of fire ants, sir? They can burrow their way in!"

"Thank you, lad. I'm afraid I'm getting old, almost two years now. I just wish I could've seen Earth without war."

"If you die, sir, in any way, I promise to defend in your honor!"

Me and the general watched as the horde of mosquitoes twisted and turned, buzzing this way and that. We had a lovely view from the top of our Redwood tree, and the hefty climb was worth it. There were only about forty humans left in this war, or so we hoped, at least. We had no way to see how many were in the sky, but these forty were stranded. Their 'spaceship,' as we had translated, was unable to take them away.

In satisfaction we watched over the next as the ants seeped through the cracks in the walls, some of those were fire ants transported all the way from another continent on rafts. We smugly watched as the humans ran outside, waving their hands amuck in terror. The mosquitos, which had flown as high as they could and were hidden by fog, swan-dove down and began attacking and biting.

The dragonflies, which had been deployed, found the access code and stopped the humans from being able to entire their home. Never again, would they be entering that home.

And the final blow, the final push, were the Hornets. They are far more primitive than most other bugs, but when their nest is dropped, they are a deadly enemy to have.

It took all the strength of flies, bees, and other assorted fliers to carry the nests. There was even a recruitment of slave birds assisting, the very last ducks on the planet.

But somehow, miraculously, hundreds of hornet nests were surrounding the base. The bravest soldiers, the largest Rhinoceros beetles, tore open the nests and pushed them in front of the humans.

STING! One down. STING! Two down.

We had won the war, and the world war ours to rule at last.