PruAme: Who Knew

"Alfred, would you like to say a few words?"

Alfred nodded and stood in front of everyone. "Gilbert, was my first love....."

' "G-Gil! Where are we going?!" The american asked, being pulled out of the house by the albino. Gilbert just looked back at him, smiling.

"I'm taking jou to zhe amusement park." He said simply, dragging the other male out of the house and to the amusement park.

At the end of the day, they were on a slow water ride. "Gil?" Alfred asked, looking over at him.

"Ja?" Gilbert replied, looking back over at him. His cheeks were a bit red and he smiled softly. The sun was setting and it looked very good on Gilbert's skin, making Alfred's heart beat a bit faster.

"Why'd you take me here?" He asked, tilting his head slightly, a blush on his own cheeks.

"I.... vell.....uh...." Gilbert started, but hung his head a bit. "It's supposed to be a date... " He said, still looking down. Alfred blushed darkly and smiled a bit. He hugged Gilbert tightly. "Good.... I kind of wanted it to be a date." He said softly. Gilbert hugged back, smiling widely. When they pulled away from the hug, Gilbert took hold of his hand, smiling still. "I promise I vill alvays be here for jou." He said softly. '

Alfred's eyes teared up as the memories flooded to him . "When we went on our first date.... I thought that nothing could split us apart..."

'  A year later, Gilbert took both of Alfred's hands as they headed to the beach. They stayed there for most of the day. When it was sun set they were sitting on beach towels and looking at the sunset. "Alfred..?" Gilbert said, not moving his eyes from the landscape.

"What is it, babe?" Alfred asked back, glancing at Gilbert. Gilbert turned to look at him and smiled. " I love you.." He said, his hand on Alfred's. Alfred blushed softly and kissed Gilbert softly. "I love you too." He said, smiling wide.

"I promise, I vill never ever leave jou." Gilbert said, looking in Alfred's eyes. The next day, Gilbert was sunburned as all hell.'

"We were complete idiots sometimes... We were together thick and thin.... Even when the unexpected happened." Alfred explained softly, the worst of the memories flooding in.

' It had been two years since their first date, and they were sitting in the doctor's office. Gilbert looked down at the table, taking in the news. No, it wasn't possible... That, that wouldn't work.

"C-cancer? Are you sure?" Alfred asked, not wanting to believe it.

"Yep. Skin cancer. I'm sorry Mr. Beilschmidt." The doctor said. Gilbert was just looking at the table, his eyes filled with surprise, worry, and fear. Then the doctor motioned Alfred to follow him out of the room. 

Once they were out of the room the doctor looked at Alfred. "I'm sorry, but I think Gilbert only has one year left. The cancer is very serious and we're going to need him in here immediately."

"No... He's fine. You're lying, he's fine!" Alfred said,  tears starting to run down his face.  Gilbert came out and took Alfred's hand.

"Al..." Gilbert said, turning him to look at him. "I'll be fine. Zhey're going to get vhatever zhey need to und I'll be fine. Soon enough, I'll be home. I promise leibe." He said, smiling a him. '

Alfred wiped his eyes, his voice cracking a bit. "W-when he got cancer, I visited him everyday . H-he always seemed to slowly lose his shine though, but he always smiled when he saw me.. I'll never forgot the last kiss we had... I'll cherish it forever." He said, breaking down crying.

'Machines. That's all you could hear in the room, along with the albino's faint breathing. Alfred came into the room, holding a bouquet of flowers. "Gilbert?" Alfred said softly, closing the door behind him. Gilbert woke up and smiled at Alfred, sitting softly.

"Hallo liebe.." He said, his voice soft and frail.

"I brought you flowers. It's our three year anniversary."  He said, sitting in the chair by the hospital bed.

"Danke liebe, I love zhem.." He said, looking at them and holding them in his hands.  Alfred couldn't stand seeing Gilbert like this, it killed him. Tears started running down his cheeks, his smile fading. Gilbert looked over at Alfred. "Hey, liebe, don't cry." He said, wiping the tears away. "Zhey're almost done, I'll be better soon." He said, smiling up at Alfred. Alfred leaned into his touch and tried to stop crying.

"I love you Gilbert, I don't want you to die." Alfred choked out, wiping his own eyes.

"I'm not going to die liebe, I promised, remember?" Gilbert said faintly.

"I-I know.... but still, I'm scared Gil.."

"I'll be fine." Gilbert said back, kissing him softly. Alfred kissed back. The kiss lasted a couple of minutes and Gilbert's head fell back onto the bed, his eyes shut. Alfred looked at him, panic starting taking over. The heart monitor made the long beep sound and Alfred was going hysterical. He went to the door and yelled down the hall for a doctor or a nurse. He cried more and put his head on Gilbert's chest. "Idiot, you said you would never leave me. You promised me you would live not thirty minutes ago! Why did you leave?" He said, crying harder...'

Alfred wiped his eyes. "I miss him so much. I just wish.... I could hear his voice one last time... I would want to tell him, that I love him, and he was the best thing that ever happened to me.." Alfred said, finishing his speech and turning to the dead body behind him. Gilbert looked so peaceful like that. Alfred openly sobbed on the casket, his brother, Matthew having to pull him away.

It had been three months since the funeral and Alfred was about to crawl into bed, when he heard something rustling. He went downstairs with his baseball bat, ready to kill someone if need be. He then found a box on the table in his living room.  He approached the box carefully, poking it with the bat. Once he deemed it safe, Alfred opened the box. In it, was a flag, and a necklace. He took the flag out, and it was of the Prussian flag. Gilbert identified as a Prussian. The necklace, was Gilberts. Alfred felt tears run down his face as he put the necklace on and the flag over his shoulders. He walked back upstairs and crawled into bed, crying to himself. Soon, he felt arms go around his waist. He froze a bit, still crying.

"Shh, liebe. Jou don't need to cry, everyzhing is alright." He heard someone say. He turned to look behind himself, and found no one there. He cried more, and soon cried himself to sleep.

A spirit was looking at him, still on his side of the bed. He kissed Alfred's lips, and erased all memory of himself from Alfred's mind. "Zhere... now jou von't suffer..." Gilbert said, fading away softly. Alfred stopped crying, but when Gilbert faded away, a lone tear ran down his face.

"Who knew?"