• Not The Beach House •

Start from the beginning

"They've sold the beach house?" I asked in disbelief.

"No," Pappy shook his head, "no deals have been made as far as we know, but it's up for sale."

"I'm sorry, mia nipote," Nonna spoke sympathetically. 

"But- this can't happen," I said lowly. 

I could not believe my ears, not the beach house, anything but that house. It's the last connection we all have to Susannah, obviously we have other things, but me, my siblings, the mums, my friends, that beach house was like another home, it is another home. 

And now, it would belong to someone else, or worse, it could be torn down. 

Oh my God, Jeremiah and Conrad! 

I wondered if they knew about this. Perhaps this was why Conrad disappeared, he learned of the news and took off. I'm not going to burden Jeremiah with this just yet, we need to find Conrad first, and I bet £1,000,000 that he's at that beach house. Whether he knows it's being sold or not, it's still his safe place since Susannah got sick again.

"I have to go. May I be excused?" I asked urgently.

"Of course," Nonna said, "but where are you going?" she asked as I stood up from my seat. 

"I'm going to the beach house. I need to check if Conrad's there, and I want to see the house again." 

Pappy nodded, "okay, be safe and keep us updated, please." 

"I will," I said rushing off, but then quicky returned to the table, picked up my half eaten croissant and two jam tarts before saying, "can't forget breakfast," then went to my room to get ready. 

I turned the engine off and got out of my car. I locked the door and slowly round the front, not breaking eye contact with the house. 

Tears threatened to spill down my cheeks as I glanced around the area, memories flashing in my mind, all the first arrivals I've had here at the start of each summer. I remember the first time we brought Josie here, the first time Kai came along. I remember how we always arrived last, despite living closer than the Conklins.

I remember last year's arrival, how I was unloading the suitcases when Conrad snuck behind me and spun me round, how I ruffled Jeremiah's hair and hugged Steven, how Belly was not a little girl anymore with braces and glasses. I remember the side gate to garden where the pool was, and how the boys gave Belly the first belly flop of the summer whilst I filmed it. 

No time for memories now, it was time for action. I composed my self before walking up the steps to the front porch. My hand hovered over door knob. Here goes nothing. I turned the knob and the door opened, not sure why it was unlocked but I'm glad it was, someone must be here.

It still smelt the same, it looked the same. The emptiness still sounded the same, but was different too. I softly closed the door and walked through the hall. My fingers trailed along the wall as I passed by, my eyes inspecting every part. As I continued deeper, the memories were flying through my mind like a highlight reel.

There was the coffee table I sat on when I performed the song I wrote about Conrad after the Fourth, where I unintentionally told everyone how I felt about him. The kitchen where Susannah, Mum, Josie and I would bake for hours. The dinner table where we'd always have Belly's annual birthday dinner. The pool outside, a witness to many late night swims, polo battles and freestyle diving.

"Abby," a familiar deep voice said behind me.

I turned round to come face to face with my best friend. I gave him a small smile, "you've got some explaining to do."