Ayla took a deep breath, stood straight, and nodded. "She is."

"Good," Burchard said. "Because we desperately need her right now." He went to one knee. "What are Milady's orders?"

Thoughts racing, Ayla turned to the window again. She could not hope to stand a chance against the Margrave von Falkenstein on equal ground. The man was an experienced fighter, commander, and conqueror. Since her father had been taken ill, the soldiers in Luntberg Castle had been without a leader. Oh, Ayla could direct them to go to this village, protect that place from brigands, but lead them into battle? No.

What they needed was an experienced military leader who was still young and strong enough to be a good fighter. Someone who could make people believe they stood a fighting chance. Unfortunately, no such person was available. So Ayla would just have to think of something else.

She had to protect her people.

All her people.

"Gather all the men who can ride," she said, still staring out of the window, down into the valley. "They don't have to be soldiers, they just have to know how to ride quickly. Also, gather all the wood you can find, and get me the carpenter from the village."

Burchard stood up, his old eyes gleaming. "You have a plan, Milady?"

"Would I be giving you orders if I hadn't?"

"No, Milady."

"Well, what are you waiting for? Get to work!"

Burchard nodded and headed for the door. He was just about to leave the hall when he turned and asked: "And what should I do with all these things and men, when I have them, Milady? Where shall I bring them?"

"You will bring them to the bridge," Ayla said, also heading for the door. "And as for what to do, we'll get to that once we've arrived. I'm coming with you. Tell them to saddle Eleanor."

*~*~**~*~*

Her horse was waiting for her when she reached the courtyard. Burchard might be annoying sometimes, but he was also good at his job. None of her servants bothered to help her into the saddle. They all had known her almost as long as the steward.

Ayla took a moment to stroke Eleanor's glossy brown coat.

"How have you been, my girl?" she asked in a soft voice.

Eleanor whinnied, leaning into Ayla's touch.

Ayla laughed softly and hugged the mare around the neck. "Yes, I love you too. But we haven't got time for that now."

The mare regarded her with large, intelligent, brown eyes, seeming to ask why exactly they didn't have time for a bit of tender loving care.

"We have to hurry. People are in danger, and we have to help." With a last pat on Eleanor's side, Ayla swung herself into the saddle. "Run my girl! Run!"

She gently pressed her boots into the horse's sides. Eleanor understood. She had never needed more than a small indication to know exactly what Ayla wanted. Her hoofs turning into a blur, she galloped through the first set of castle gates and along the steep path that snaked down the side of the mountain towards the larger outer gate with its iron portcullis.

Luntberg Castle truly was an impressive bulwark. Built in Ayla's father's youth, when the land had still been free of those accursed robber knights and a series of rich harvests had filled her father's coffers with enough money for this project, it was a massive complex of impenetrable stone walls and high pinnacles. Two walls, the outer lower than the inner one, surrounded the central keep where Count Luntberg and his only daughter lived. Within the first courtyard, there were only the most essential buildings: the armory, the bakery, and a well that led down deep into the mountain, supplying the castle with fresh water.