Echoes of the Past

Around 8 years ago...

Someone panted as they hurried past a creature in the center of the scorching downpour. She wore a cloak and carried a staff. She then went passed a symbol on a wall and into what appeared to be a cave. Removing the cloak revealed that Eda had been running. Her hair was short and had white streaks due to her curse. She looked behind her and held out her cloak, which had holes due to the weather. She stepped inside, her bright eyes hidden behind one of the boulders she walked over.

Looking around, she noticed a heap of pebbles and a shadow dashing past. She flinched when she heard it.

"Who's there? Reveal yourself!" she demanded, and whoever was sneaking up came in from behind.

She turned around and gasped sharply.

•°•°•○•°•°•

It was a peaceful day at the Owl House. Hazel, Luz, and Bijou were glancing down at the Latina girl's notepad, which contained drawings of glyphs, as they had recently conducted additional research on them. Luz drew a circle, then split it and crossed it out. She grunted in irritation and grabbed another paper as she was surrounded by books.

"Guys!" King jumped in front of her. "I need your help. I think Francois is trying to start a rebellion."

He pointed to his teddy rabbit, who was surrounded by stuffed creatures. Then a knife fell behind it, which put Luz off slightly.

"In a minute, King. I'm getting so close to figuring out this glyph combo," she continued drawing.

"It's always glyphs and portals with you these days," King complained to the girl. "What about King?"

"Maybe we can continue our playdate as soon as we are done with our research," Hazel said before he started cleaning his face.

"In the meantime, why don't you ask Lilith for help?" Bijou asked, pointing to the aforementioned woman. "She used to be head of the Emperor's Coven. She has more experience with crowd control than anyone else."

Lilith, on the other hand, appeared to be...busy, staring at a piece of paper and drawing something slowly. She giggled as her hair was a mess.

"Watching the ink dry is the best part," she said with a big smile.

King groaned, more alarmed than he had been by Francois's knife. Hooty floated in and handed Lilith a cup. "A fresh cup of tea for my favorite cup of tea. That's you, Lulu."

"Thanks, Hooty Lilith's eyes widen as she straightens her hair.

"Well, Hootsifer, you truly are a gem," she smiled, patting his head. "How do you always know what to do?"

"What's going on?" King whispered to Luz. "Is Hooty blackmailing her?"

"Oh, I think they're actually friends," Luz said, smiling. "Isn't that nice?"

"Yeah, I'm glad everything is still going well for Lilith from here," Hazel mused in relief.

"Okay, this'll work for sure," Luz held up a glyph combination. "Now you see me..."

Luz placed it over herself and became invisible! King gasped sharply, and Lilith looked up to see that she had vanished. Luz suddenly reappeared in the same location.

"Now you don't! Oh. I guess it only lasts as long as I hold my breath. Still pretty cool, huh?"

"Yeah, and by the looks of it, it does need some work on working without holding your breath," Bijou replied.