e i g h t e e n

3 missed calls.

I sighed and ran my hand over my forehead that seemed warm from possible stress, and hovered my finger over the green call button on Joseph's contact.

I knew he was ignoring me, but I continued to call. I didn't have a specific reason except for the color of his light brown eyes filling with moisture as he stared at me and Luke kissing, just the memory of him upset made me feel upset as well, for he tried to make me happy. And in return I give him the exact opposite feeling.

I would call once more, I said to myself mentally.

My finger then tapped on the green call button, and afterward I listened to the long rings that I prayed would halt to Joseph's sweet voice that was never harsh except on the soccer field at school.

He would shout at his opponents to pass the ball over and over, and as they did he would score into the goal. The crowd of hormonal teenage girls screamed at the top of their lungs and jumped up and down to try and gain attention by how their breasts bounced.

Me personally however, would just sit on the bleachers with my hands in my lap, trying my best to see over the many heads at Joseph. He made eye contact with me once.

Once.

And that day I've always somehow remembered.

*

The wind was cold and the thin jacket I had covering my arms wasn't helping a bit as a walked across the parking lot that was only lit by the street lights that were surrounded by flying bugs.

I told my mother I didn't want to go to the soccer fields and watch the game, but she insisted on making me go so I could fit in and have "school spirit."

I'm reply I simply said, "Fuck school spirit."

Luke grounded me. But still insisted I went to the game because he knew it was a punishment for me.

I was one of the kids in High School that simply wanted to go in, and leave at the end of the day. No after school clubs, no sports practices, nothing. Perhaps I was lazy, but at the same time I just didn't care.

But another part of me wanted to be different.

A part of me wanted to join clubs and be in many sports teams and have people yelling my name in the bleachers. A part of me wanted to be best dressed in the year book and date plenty of boys. But alas, that isn't me.

"You cold?" A deep voice sounded from behind me. I turned around as the wind caused my hair to whirl around my face, and the sight of Joseph with sweat on his face overcame me.

His chest arose and fell with each heavy breath he took, and it was clear that he was still breathless from the game.

"Um, yeah. Probably should have brought a heavier jacket." I chuckled, and watched as he did the same.

"Here," he walked closer to me and handed me his jacket that was hung on his arm. "As you can see I don't really need it at the moment." Joseph wiped the pack of his hand on his forehead, gathering all of the sweat before running his hand on his soccer shorts.

"Thank you so much." I said as I put my arms through his warm jacket. It was clearly oversize, but I liked it better that way.

He smiled at the sight of me.

"It's no problem, you can just return It tomorrow in class."

I nodded and crossed my arms together, feeling my face warm up from blushing as well as my entire body due to the large jacket.