Chapter 2.3: Words of Wisdom

ابدأ من البداية

"Why would I–" Ari began, but Nis interrupted with a knowing smile.

"I have something that you want, do I not?"

Ari's glare softened as thoughts of Kaval flooded his mind. His heart clenched at the mere thought of him, the longing for Kaval's presence almost unbearable. Despite knowing he was undeserving of Kaval after what he had done, Ari could not suppress the yearning to see him again.

"I am sure he would like to see you again, Sri," Nis said, pinching Ari's chin, forcing him to look at him and all of his beauty. It was no small wonder as to why Sascha was enraptured with him.

"What is it that you want from me, Nis? I was well enough on my own."

"No, you were not. And telling you now... It is much too soon. You will react badly."

Ari grabbed Nis' wrist trying to remove his hand away from his chin, but Nis remained unmoved.

"Come away with me, and you will have your answers then."

"And Sascha?"

Nis narrowed his eyes and threw Ari's face away from him before he stalked back towards the window.

"I will not leave him," Ari said.

"Perhaps, you should. You have grown too reliant on one another. A little space and time away from one another may be best."

Ari scoffed. "Of course, you would say that."

"Zaiz and Zaiza will not harm Sascha nor the other one, rest assured. You should be more worried about yourself now and what truths from the answers you seek may bring."

"I am not–"

"Sleep."

                                                                            æ

Ari woke to the noise of a carriage, followed by small bumps and slight shakes. He was in a slight daze until the memories of what had happened reemerged, igniting anger that was soon quelled as his eyes met with a pair of smiling gray ones.

"Come now, do not make a fuss. I am giving you what you want," Nis said.

"What did you do to me?" Ari hissed.

Nis' smile soon turned into a smirk. "You should be mindful not to starve yourself. One can easily take advantage."

"I was not–" Ari held his tongue, not wishing to argue with him. He did not need to know any more than what he already knew. Bringing up Sascha seemed to be a sore topic for Nis as well. If he was, indeed, bringing him to see Kaval, he did not want to anger him. Not yet, anyway.

They sat in tense silence, neither one of them willing to disrupt it for some time. Ari realized Nis was still upset. How could he not have ascertained what Sascha's reaction would be? Nis left Sascha as Auovin had left him. When they finally began to travel together, Ari never asked for more information than what Sascha willingly shared, and the same went for Sascha. So Ari did not know the reason beyond that. Sascha did not like to speak of it, which Ari understood. However, at one point, Ari wished to speak of Auovin. He wished to speak of him so badly, but it would only seem to reopen old wounds of Sascha's, so he never did.

Ari eyed his fingers as he continued to fiddle with them. He sighed and let his gaze linger on Nis, questions populating his mind. He wanted to know what had happened between them so he could better understand how to comfort Sascha when he returned. Ari chewed on his lip in thought before he finally huffed and asked the question that had been plaguing his mind, fully prepared for Nis' wrath if he responded badly.

"Sascha is a dear friend of mine."

"I know this," Nis said, disinterested.

"Very dear to my heart, as he and I have been given the same wounds."

Those words captured Nis' attention. Nis stamped down his glare and forced a smile. "The same? Vinny and I?" Nis laughed. "Do not be misled, for I had told him well ahead of time."

"Still... "

"I could not be all that he knew or experienced. He knew this. I knew this. I will speak no more of it with you."

The carriage stopped, and Nis wasted no time stepping out, paying no heed to the lesser demons who usually provided a stool. Ari followed, his heart pounding with anticipation.

Surrounded by trees and forests, Ari could barely discern the villa, its facade hidden by vines and foliage. It seemed to come from a storybook. As the doors opened seemingly of their own accord, Nis strode through, unfazed. Ari grew uneasy until he noticed lesser demons bowing and holding the doors open for them.

Inside, darkness enveloped them, with only a flicker of candlelight here and there. The vast space felt empty, their footsteps echoing on the marbled floor. Nis stopped at a door and gestured for Ari to enter.

"In there. Stay as long as you wish," he said.

Ari's eyes widened.

"But let me impart some words of wisdom to you—If it hurts, just say so." With those words, Nis continued down the dimly lit hall.

Ari hesitated by the door, unsettled by Nis' words and anxious about their meeting. It had been so long, and the separation was Ari's doing. Would Kaval ever forgive him? The thought of Kaval's potential rejection left Ari feeling fragile, as if another fracture in his heart would be unbearable. Yet, a stronger desire pulled at him, urging him to be near Kaval to feel his embrace once more, to find solace and support in his arms in a way no one else could offer. Unable to resist any longer, Ari reached out, grasped the knob, and turned it.

____________________________________

[A/N]

Ah, so much is going on here! The interactions between Ari, Nis, and Sascha reveal some complex dynamics. Ari's resentment towards Nis and his longing for Kaval, Sascha's avoidance and hurt towards Nis, and Nis's attempts to bridge the gap all contribute to a whole slew of complicated emotions. 

Here are some questions for y'all: 

How do you interpret  Ari's feelings towards both Sascha and Kaval? Can you relate in some way?

Were there any particular moments or interactions that resonated with you? 

What do you think Nis's true intentions are towards Ari and Sascha? 

❤️❤️❤️ As always, thank you for reading, commenting and voting!! You know I appreciate it and love to read your thoughts and comments. All are welcome! ❤️❤️❤️