fifteen

a/n: I'm having a decent dose of writer's block arghh (I'm p sure this is the second last chapter)

Luke.

"What do you mean, I have to get back on the road by the end of the week?"

I looked to where Calum was pacing across my backyard, phone pressed to his ear and hand running through his hair as I swung slowly on the hammock.

"I can't go back on tour straight away," he argued, his eyes flitting to me and giving me a tight smile before continuing, "I need to sort some things out here and see my parents before."

He stopped pacing as he listened, then sighed. "Okay, but- You can't do that- What?" He paused before sighing, "Okay. I'll call Mikey and Katie- Wait, you already did? And what di- Oh. Well, yeah, I guess that sounds fine. Okay, yeah, bye Matt."

He hung up, sighing, and slid the phone back in his pocket. In two quick strides, he was next to me, and sank down on the hammock, at my feet. It tipped slightly, and he sighed again, moving to lie down beside me.

"What's wrong?" I asked, looking over at him.

He turned to face me and gave me a slight smile. "It's just- I have to be back in Scotland by the end of the week. Which means in, like, two days."

"Oh."

"I thought they would let me stay longer, but I guess three weeks is too long a time in the first place..."

"Oh."

"Come on, Lukey," he murmured, poking my side. "I tried. You heard me... I'm sorry."

"I know."

He pouted, before moving to get off the hammock, but I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him back beside me.

It was weird, our relationship. We had switched back and kissed for the first - and last - time this morning. Neither of us had brought it up since, though. I didn't know what to think, to be honest. Maybe it was just a spur of the moment thing.

He rolled us over on the wavering hammock so that he was laying on top of me, and I just smiled. "It's okay," I murmured. "You don't have to apologise to me, you know. It's not like... I don't know. We're just soulmates. It's not like you have any obligations to stay here or anything."

"I wanted to figure out this whole soulmate thing, honestly," he answered in a quiet voice. "But I guess that's going to have to wait."

"It's okay. I mean, I'm- I'm always here. It's not like I'm going anywhere."

He sighed, leaning forward and pressing his lips to mine fleetingly before quickly pulling away. "Wait, I'm- I'm sorry."

"For what?" I asked, frowning a little.

"For- Uh, kissing you out of the blue like that. I don't- I know we're soulmates but we didn't talk about this and frankly I don't know if you're on the same page as me on this and-"

I laced my fingers into the hair at the back of his head, bringing his face closer to mine. My lips nudged his gently, trying to get him to see that I was exactly on the same page as him.

His lips began moving against mine, and his hands came up to cup my face as we kept on kissing. My fingers were running through his hair and I couldn't keep the smile from my face.

✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

Calum.

I spent that night at Luke's house again. It was most likely my last night in Sydney, so Luke's mum invited Mikey, Katie and I to stay with them. She was so happy that we switched back, even though we still hadn't told her about the meeting with Ashton. Well, we still acted clueless about why we switched in the first place and she still wasn't telling us, so we figured we might as well keep it like that.

After dinner, we all migrated to the places we would be sleeping. We had to leave pretty early the next morning so we didn't feel like staying up late socialising. Mikey and I took the pull-out couch in Luke's basement, and Katie got the guest room.

I was trying to find a comfortable position, listening to Mikey read off some instagram comments, when I heard the door to the basement open. Light from the hall shone into the dark room, and I craned my neck back to see who it was.

"Cal?" Luke's voice called out, and I smiled, lying back down.

"Yeah?"

Luke didn't answer. The room fell back into darkness save for the light of Michael's phone, and I heard him pad his way down the short stairs and over to me. I shifted a bit on the bed, and watched him approach, but instead of sitting down, he just stood beside me.

"Can we cuddle?" he asked quietly, and I heard Mikey cough.

"Come." I smiled, opening my arms for him. In the dim light, I saw him smile, and he lay down beside me. I pulled him close, and pressed a kiss to his forehead.

Michael grunted, and Luke lifted his head. "You can take my bed, Mikey," he murmured.

"Nah," Michael shrugged, and I chuckled before letting go of Luke and turning to wrap my arms around Michael. "What are you doing you freak?!"

"Cuddling," I shrugged, and Mikey laughed before pushing me off.

"Okay, I'm going!" he huffed, but he wasn't upset. "I get a bed to myself anyways."

We waited for him to leave the room before I turned to Luke, blindly searching for his nose. I tried to press a kiss to it but missed, my lips pressing against his cheekbone instead. He giggled, his lips finding mine in the darkness.

We kissed softly for a few moments before he pulled me closer to him, hands trailing under my shirt and trying to pull it off me.

I grumbled, stilling his hands as I pulled away from his lips. He immediately began pressing his against my neck and I sighed. "Luke, no, not tonight."

At that, he whined, trailing his lips lower and biting at my collarbone. "Why not?"

"Because," I began, but him tugging at the neckline of my singlet stopped me. I grabbed his hands, lacing his fingers with mine, and rested my forehead against his. "Because the first time I kissed you was this morning. It's not- I don't feel right."

"But I'm fine with it," he whined, squeezing my hand.

I sighed, pressing a gentle kiss to his lips before rolling over onto my back to turn on the dim floor lamp beside the couch. Looking over at him, I sighed at the pout on his lips, and murmured, "I want to get to know you without my own face weirding me out." I brushed a stray strand of golden hair off his forehead before continuing, "I want you too, Luke, trust me. Just... Let's take this slow, yeah?"

Luke whined, pouting at me some more and crossing his arms. I just sighed, moving to kiss his forehead. "Try to understand," I whispered. "And hey. We're gonna have plenty time in the future. Soulmates, right?"

He gave me a little smile, uncrossing his arms and wrapping his arms around me. "Okay," he murmured. "But- I mean- There are gonna be other people in our lives... Especially yours."

"And maybe that's alright for now," I told him, trying to get him to understand what I was saying. "You've still got a year of school left, and right now, what we have is... Well, Luke, it's illegal in most countries. I can't be- It'll be disastrous if people find out about us right now."

He huffed. "I don't want anyone else."

"You don't know that."

"Are you trying to tell me you're just not interested?"

I sighed, closing my eyes. "No, I'm trying to tell you that we need to- It's too soon. I've known you for three weeks, Luke. I can't- Don't you see it's just too soon?"

He sighed, moving his face to nuzzle against my neck. "I see... You're right. I'm sorry. I just- I feel like I've known you for longer, that's it. It's silly."

"It's not," I reassured him, pulling him closer. The realisation dawned upon me, and I kissed the top of his head. "This is going to take a lot of getting used to."

a/n: finished this with my phone on 4% like a boss