Peeking into the stall next to her horse, she realized that it was empty and it didn't look like there was horse living there for some time. It would be perfect for her to stay the night. She just needed her blanket and some more hay. Turning to her horse, she smiled, "What do you think? Shall I spend the night?"

Her horse simple bumped his head against her chest which made her stumbled back with laughter.

"Leaving?" Hunter asked from behind her.

"I don't wish to be there for the night," Dev replied as she rubbed her horse's nose and turned to her Master," May I spend the night in the stables? "

"It might rain," Hunter suggested even though the night sky was clear.

"I'll take my chances," She replied and turned to smile at Hunter, "I'll be outside waiting for you all in the morning."

"No running," Hunter reminded her in a teasing tone.

"I haven't forgotten what happened the first time I ran away," Dev simply replied.

The first time was just a few days after they had met and it was when she was sure she was fully healed and able to run away. She picked a moment when he wasn't looking and bolted. She didn't make it far when she was ambushed by three soldiers.

All hope of being free crumbled and she cried, begging for them to let her go but they had simply told her that since there was a camp breakout, they needed new 'Zelo's'. She was about to be bounded and dragged back when Hunter came out of nowhere to save her.

He told the soldiers off for taking away his slave. Apparently, they respected others who had 'bought' Zelowalli people so she was released and given back to Hunter.

What had been a swift escape was now an eye opener for her. To further show her how dangerous the place was, he took her to the Wharf town and he gave her one simple task to do along the way. Keep count of how many times they come across soldiers.

By the time they reached their destination, she had lost count and any hope of her travelling through her own land safely was extinguished.

She had been shattered by the knowledge and in time, accepted that until Hunter brought her home himself, she was not going anywhere.

"Will you be okay by yourself?" Hunter asked, which shook her from her memories.

"I'll manage," she answered. He nodded and then turned to leave but he reminded her to watch their supplies to which she waved her hand at him. She quickly got to work on cleaning the stall and moving some fresh hay for her to use. Going over to her bag, she pulled out her blanket and got to work spreading it out.

She was just settling down when she heard footsteps coming closer to her stall. Standing from her haystack, she pocked her head out and was surprised to see Kalen.

"What are you doing here?" She asked which made the man jumped slightly and turned toward her.

She brought her arms up and leaned on top of the stall gate before leaning down to perch her chin above her arms. She then arched a brow at him as he shuffled nervously and moved to lean on the opposite stall, facing her. He cleared his throat," Your...Master?" He asked her and she nodded him questioning tone. He then continued," Your Master said that you wanted to sleep outside. I just came out to check on you."

A TALE OF CAGES AND VINES (COMPLETE)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें