iv. the grim

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

The trios first class was Divination. Their teacher was a beady eyed woman with thick and matted frizzy hair with big glasses, her name was Professor Trelawney who in their opinion looked nutters but who were they to judge.

"Hello, I am professor Trelawney," she starts, "together we shall cast ourselves into the future." She exclaims with a bright smile whilst waving her arms in the air.

"This term, we'll focus on Tasseomancy, the art of reading tea leaves. So please, take the cup of the person sitting opposite you," she states in a dramatic fashion.

"What do you see?" She questions to the class, "the truth lies buried like a sentence deep within a book, waiting to be read." She continues whilst walking across the room before stopping at one of harrys close friends Seamus Finnagan and placed her hand on his head causing him to look at her weirdly, "But first, you must broaden your minds, you must look beyond!"

"What a load of rubbish." Hermione mutters to the boys she was sat next to the whole time with.

The two boys look at each other then back at the girl before Ron says the question they were both thinking. "Where did you come from?"

"Me?" The girl repeats earning a nod from Harry, "I have been here all this time?" She scoffs.

Luckily she was saved from any more interrogation as the Professor gains their attention.

"You boy!" She wails out, "Is your grandmother quite well?" She asks walking over to Neville Longbottom.

"I think so?" He replies earning a shake of the head, "I wouldn't be so sure of that," she warns, "give me the cup." She looks down at the cup then at Neville with an apologetic look, mumbling pity before moving on.

"Your aura is pulsing dear, are you in the beyond" she questions frantically to Ron making the girl next to him with bushy hair roll her eyes as he replies "sure." He mutters out.

"Look at the cup, tell me what you can see" she instructs.

"Well . . . Harrys got sort of a wonky cross." He continues whilst flicking through the guide, whilst Hermione laughs silently at him. "That's trials and suffering," making the professor nod and allow him to carry on, "— and that could be the sun which is happiness," Ron stops looking at the pages and right at Harry, "so your going to suffer but your going to be happy about it." He finishes making harry and Hermione share a laugh.

"Give me the cup—" Ron gives her the cup but once she looks down she drops it in despair.

"Oh my dear boy, you—" she looks at Harry with such sympathy, "you— you have the grim!" She screams out.

"The grin? What's the grin?" Seamus shouts out.

"Not the grin, you idiot. The grim," bem starts, "taking the form of a giant spectral dog . . it's among the darkest omens in the world— it's an omen . . .𝒐𝒇 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉."

The boys answer making harry look down at the cup to see a clear image of a brown dog, the same dog he had seen that night after leaving the dursleys.

★ ★ ★

"You don't think the grim has anything to do with Miralette Crouch, do you?" Ron questions breaking the silence as they walk down to their next class.

"Honestly, Ron, if you ask me divination's a woolly discipline— now ancient ruins that's fascinating subject." she answers truthfully.

"ancient ruins?" he repeats, "exactly how many classes are you taking this summer?" he asks the girl.

"A fair few." She answers quickly.

"Hang on." He stops walking causing Hermione to stop as harry ignores them and carries his journey, "That's not possible. Ancient ruins is in the same time as divinations."

They carry on walking as he looks from Harry to back at the bushy haired girl, "you'd have to be at two classes at once?"

"Don't be silly Ronald how could anyone be in two classes at once?" She retorts with a faint smirk.

"Broaden your minds. Use your inner eye to see the future." The girl mocks her professor, easily switching the subject.

★ ★ ★