7: Pinky Promises

Depuis le début

"Let's go, Sunshine," the wolf pulled Noah further inside, away from the doorway. "We'll slip out the back," he whispered to Noah. Few locals bothered to spare a glance at the duo as they made their way across the small pub to a narrow hallway at the far back corner.

At the end of the hallway was an exit that led out into a back alley. "Why are you helping me?" Noah finally asked as he peeked out into the alley, to his immediate right was a brick wall with moss growing out of the crevices. In the opposite direction was an opening that led to a quieter part of the city. He clutched his books, if this were a trap, he couldn't figure out the gain. This wolf wouldn't get any use out of books of the damned, it wouldn't make sense for him to have even expected Noah to run into that pub. Unless it wasn't about the books, Noah glared towards the wolf, perhaps the wolf simply saved him just so he could have the honor of beating up the puny warlock kid. Noah took a step back, only to have cornered himself.

The wolf shrugged, "I was bored."

"Bored," Noah echoed in disbelief.

The wolf looked Noah up and down, he could have guessed the wild ideas that ran rampant through the warlock's mind. He stepped out into the alley to provide a comfortable distance between them. "Yeah, my dad sends me here when he doesn't want me around. Staff won't serve me booze and my uncle keeps a short leash on me," the wolf smirked at his own joke, "a warlock thief stumbles in like a little ray of sunshine, it'd be dumb not to seize the opportunity."

"I'm not a thief," Noah protested as he took a cautious step into the alley. The door shut behind them.

The wolf paused; his eyes shifted down to the books Noah held like his life depended on them. He pointed an accusing finger, "so... you just forgot to pay then? Well, shit," he grabbed Noah's arm and pulled him towards the opening, "Let's go back to the shop and pay. I'm sure the shop owner will be relieved to know it was all just a misunderstanding."

Noah dragged his heels against the ground. "No!" he pulled himself out of the wolf's grip. "Just beat me up! I don't have any money, but you can take my shoes! Please just don't turn me in."

The wolf looked down at Noah's feet. Noah wore a pair of worn sneakers, the dark grey material stained from suffering the seasons, and the start of a hole formed at the edge of the laces of one shoe. The wolf tapped his combat boot clad foot against the side of Noah's foot, "I don't think your shoes would fit."

"You know what I mean!" Noah shouted.

The wolf chuckled, "I think you're trying to imply that I'm some sort of bully. That hurts my feelings, Sunshine."

"Stop calling me that!"

"Hey," the wolf stepped in closer towards Noah. Noah bit his lip and squeezed his eyes shut as he braced himself for a direct hit. "You shouldn't shout, that guy could still be around." Noah opened his eyes and looked up at the wolf. "Now, if you're done hurting my feelings. Let's go."

"Go where?"

The wolf flashed a sharp toothed smile, "I'm in this now." He ran his fingers over the books, "helping out a warlock seems like a lot more fun than sitting around here."

Noah shook his head, "it's a secret."

"I won't tell anyone."

"I don't know you; I can't trust you. And... besides..." Noah looked down the space between them. "I'm a warlock, you can't trust me."

Noah flinched as the wolf raised his arm, "I pinky promise."

"What?" Noah looked at the wolf's hand, he balled his fist, leaving only his pinky proudly raised in the air.