Mutations: ~ The Prologue ~

Mutations:

~ The Prologue ~

"These...these creatures should not be associated with humans!"

Creatures? So, that is what they think of the wonderful creations that have come to life, such a shame. These 'creatures', as they called them, will be our future and salvation. Beautiful monsters, one could call them.

They may even hold the potential to salvage mankind itself.

Or, destroy it.

Taking a long drag out of the rich cigarette, I puffed out the smoke in small circles, watching what could be history happening before me. Yes, my little monsters will be something legendary, whether these fools like it, or not.

The future was something that had come from my brilliant mind alone, no one said to me that it is forbidden to create them.

Probably because not all of the procedures were legal, or actually documented. In fact, none of it was authorised; but brilliance always came from spontaneity.

And, a bonus was seeing them grow, which had been my pleasure alone.

The small council of the Seven had gathered in the event of discovering my newest creations. My special little project that had been hidden in the background of all their busy work. Gone unnoticed long enough for it to be saved from termination. There was nothing they could do, now that it was done.

They would be ready soon, and nothing could destroy them.

Quite the masterpiece, this would be my legacy.

"How could you even let this happen?" The bald head of one of our scientist's snarled, his beady eyes sliced into a nervous looking lab assistant, "These things are abominations! And you, you are not doing this to help mankind!"

One of the many whom I had deceived. They paled at the revelation, their shock rendering them usefully muted. But he was not alone, the others looked just as clueless.

It must have been quite the blow to the ego for them. All of them, so intelligent- with their gleaming awards, and their public appraisals...and they had all been outsmarted by me.

I'm sure the old curser had more to say on the topic, but his voice soon drowned into nothing. The old grunt never did like me, but to be fair, that was most probably my own fault.

With a mind like mine, it is easy to be envious, or maybe it was my attitude he never came to like. Either way, I didn't care. I got what I came for, and they would be beautiful.

My design was flawless, untouchable, revolutionary!

"I don't understand, Doctor." O'Hara started, his sharp as knives eyes cutting into me with more lingering questions, "They wanted weapons made, not..." His trail of words drifted off, uncertainty lingering in their wake.

My brows rose as six sets of eyes landed on me, an amusing cocktail of emotions flickered in them as they tried to keep their calm facades. I sucked the tip of my cancer stick stronger than before, if only to further annoy the important people before me. I wanted to strip them of their masks.

Reveal them to what true power really is.

Flicking the ash from the burning tip of my cigarette, I leaned further back in the uncomfortable leather seat. Staring at the obnoxious steel rectangular table that was laden with all my discovered papers, stacks of them were still untouched.