Hundred thrown out speeches, almost said to you.

Maybe there was something about Lahore that made me feel this way, but I saw myself in that boy, the Rayyan who was also eighteen once, the Rayyan whose passion no one understood. The Rayyan who couldn't have become what he was today. If it wasn't for one person.
Maliha Javaid.

Six years ago.

She picked up her phone to check what time it was when she saw seven missed calls from Rayyan. Her phone had been silent and she was deeply immersed in reading.

She sat upright and felt a bit of panic, being neighbors and classmates, they had each others number but they texted each other once in a blue moon for notes and help with work.

She picked up her phone and heard him sigh with relief.

"why wouldn't you pick your phone up?" she began to speak but he cut her off.

"Maliha remember the group I told you guys about who are planning to sponsor us and send us to korea for the gaming competition?"

"You're seriously calling me for that Rayyan," Maliha rolled her eyes, she had convinced herself someone had died in these two minutes and he was seriously calling her at eleven pm for this?

"Look, they did everything for us but they're asking us for a bit of an investment, the other two boys who are leaving with me have got it all covered but you know my family, please help me out with it Maliha".

There was panic in his voice. She had never seen Rayyan panicking, never heard him sound so desperate.

"What can I possibly do," she replied hopelessly.

"I am asking for financial help Maliha, please I'll pay you back," .

Maliha almost chuckled. She was literally eighteen and in college how could she out of all people help him financially.

"Do you have anything valuable please please please," his voice cracked.

"Look no I don't have anything besides my phone that of course you cannot have and my necklace that you can obviously not have as well," she tried to keep her voice low, Maya was slumbering on the other bed beside her.

"Besides, this is a stupid decision and I am letting your family know for your own good"

"You cannot do that to me,"

"I can and I will just so you know-"

"Just like I can tell your family you're in a relationship?"

Maliha's heart dropped and all the color drenched from her face. She was too stunned to speak and Rayyan continued, "it was you in the cafe last afternoon wasn't it Maliha, with Asim?"

She gulped and remained silent for a while.

"It's none of your business," she hissed over the phone after what felt like a minute