Chapter 07: Present, Past, Future!

Start from the beginning

"The kind with decency!" I responded.

Sabah cracked a smile, lips squeezed together, at the two of us. And I hurriedly looked at Zahra to suggest that she hurl the bomb at Sabah right now, but why would that bitch have time to look at me?

I cleared my throat to grab her attention, but Sabah turned to face me, and I nonchalantly leaned against the wall, seeming to be done criticising Zahra for the time being.

"But why did you knock?" Sabah inquired, looking at Zahra and me while holding the doorknob for balance.

Zahra looked at me through the corner of her eyes, and I noticed her swallow before she opened her mouth and left it like that before gesturing behind her with a thumb and saying, "Let's make noodles!" And I pursed my lips as I stared at her with furrowed brows.

"Okay!" I heard Sabah on my right, but I didn't glance away from Zahra, who was not looking at me at all.

"Mal?" I heard Sabah say my name.

"What?"

"Mal?" She called again.

I dragged my gaze away from Zahra to her, clenching my jaw.

"Let's go make noodles." She linked her arm with mine, as if I were about to run away, and began to drag me down the steps with a limp.

I slowly pulled my arm away from her, took a step back with wrinkled brows, and muttered, "No!"

"Why?" Sabah's smile faded as she grasped the bannister.

"Because." I saw Zahra standing behind her, pointing a finger at me with a warning scowl. Ya, Allah! "I don't want to help." I feel like a fool!

"But all you do is beat the eggs!" Sabah pointed in with a confused reaction.

I pinched my lips slightly, gave her a look, and replied, "Well, you can't have the noodles unless I beat the eggs."

"That's why I'm asking you to do it!" Sabah responded.

"Come on, yaar! Don't do this!" Zahra frowned from behind Sabah, mouthing, I'll tell her while she cooks.

I gave a frown and briefly gazed up at the ceiling before replying, "Anything but the eggs then! I've been beating eggs for years now! So, anything but that.

Sabah and Zahra locked eyes before Zahra looked at me and said, "Okay. Done!"

"Let's go!" Sabah again slipped her arm around mine, then Zahra's, and dragged us downstairs, making me groan silently. Who will say she had fallen down the stairs and sprained her ankle just a day before?

I placed the wooden chopping board, three onions, and a knife on the kitchen island in front of Mallika

I placed the wooden chopping board, three onions, and a knife on the kitchen island in front of Mallika. She looked up at me, arched her brow, and said, "What is this?"