Chapter Four

Something tickling my neck gently nudged me out of my sleep. A tiny grumble of protest bubbled in my throat as I rolled to my side, hugging my pillow to my chest. Consciousness began to filter in my mind while my eyelids fluttered opened and closed. Something cool blew against my collarbone. I wasn't sure what it was, so I—reluctantly—opened my eyes.

Immediately, I remembered where I was. My eyes darted around the large bed, over the silk purple sheets that covered the princess and me. Then my eyes landed on the beautiful young woman sleeping right next to me, her head on one of my shoulders while her hand reached across my chest and rested on the other. Her long lashes cast a shadow on her cheekbones in the morning light, her lips were parted as she breathed lightly and evenly on my skin. Her face was so peaceful, her nose occasionally scrunching, which caused her freckles to dance around. I couldn't help myself as I brushed a piece of hair away from her face. Reagan released a small sigh.

I didn't dare move for the next hour, for I did not wish to wake the princess from the slumber that she so peacefully resided in. She needed the sleep after the events from the prior night.

Eventually she let out a little whimper as she stretched, uncoiling her body from mine. I felt cold as she lied on her back and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. Reagan yawned quietly, sitting up and scratching her neck. I sat still, unsure of what to do. Hesitantly, after a moment, I sat up as well, placing a hand on her shoulder and giving her a squeeze.

Reagan looked over her shoulder with a sleepy grin. "Good morning, Lane," I gave her a small smile. "I think we should go to the dining hall before Mother comes knocking and finds you in my bed."

She climbed out of bed, her blue night gown swirling at her bare feet. She hurried into the washroom. It was strange; she was acting so cheerful, yet hours prior, she was sobbing uncontrollably and shaking in my arms. Why the sudden change?

Reagan opened the washroom door, revealing her pale skin covered by a light green dress, making her eyes all the more brighter. Her hair fell in messy curls that framed her face. She reached up to brush away her hair, pausing at the sight of her blemished wrist. Her eyes widened as she gasped. I hadn't noticed, but it must have been from when the man had grabbed her.

Reagan looked confused as she twisted her wrist around, inspecting the bruise. Realization flooded her face, and she cradled her wrist to her chest. She looked over at me, quickly approaching. She sat down next to me on the bed and grabbed my calloused hand with both of hers.

"I never had the chance to properly thank you for last night. I thank you now, for saving my life." Her face shone with gratitude as she stared at me, her eyes wide. As badly as I wanted to say that it was my pleasure and grab her face and kiss her repeatedly, I just nodded and squeezed her hand.

Reagan grinned at me. It was a grin that was filled with emotion. A grin that said she couldn't thank me enough, for she'd be dead if I wasn't there, and that was a thought that terrified her. A grin that made me lose my focus as to why I was here.

A frown slashed my face as I yanked my hand away from hers. Her smile dripped at the corners while I got out of bed and locked myself in the washroom. I leaned my forehead on the cool wall.

The princess was making me abandon my mission without my knowledge. I was at the castle to seek revenge on the king. Sawyer and I needed to avenge our families. Ivor murdered my family. I wouldn't murder his, but I'd make him regret even thinking of killing innocent lives. Rage filled me as well as determination, battling for control over my sanity. I took a deep breath, calming the feuding emotions.