chapter one, fireworks.

The L/N Household, 17:32

It was another one of those cold, windy evenings in England where only the sane would stay indoors for the night. Y/N L/N combed her h/c hair, running her cold fingers through her strands. Tonight was the night she was to meet with Edmund Pevensie at the Spring Festival which was held annually at the town square. After a whole day of picking out and trying all of her best dresses, she rushed down the stairs in the hopes of avoiding the questioning faces of her parents. Ah, too late.

"And where do you think you're going this time?" her father asks, not looking up from his paper.

Y/N was glad he didn't take a second to look up to notice how red in the face she was.

"Um, out . . . With a few friends . . ." she answered nervously, pleased she wasn't completely lying. Thankfully, her father was nothing like her mother when it came to situations like these. To her surprise, he shot her a smile.

"Have fun," he said before rising from his seat to unlock the front door, "Just don't forget to extend my greetings to Edmund."

Feeling the heat rise up to her cheeks, Y/N hurried along to escape any more of her father's jest. She could only imagine the cheeky look on his face. Her father had only met Edmund a couple times, but he seemed to have already liked him. 

Sprinting down the empty streets with all the energy she could muster up, Y/N made her way to the town square where large crowds have already begun to form. Despite all the running, it was chilly enough to cool down only brief moments later. Cursing herself under her breath, Y/N noticed she left her scarf behind at home. 

Heading towards the lamp post she promised to meet Edmund by, she felt the heat rise up to her suddenly warm cheeks at the sight of the boy. And when he caught sight of her, his eyes brightened, a wide smile forming to greet her.

"Y/N," he opened his arms as she ran into them, hugging him like it had been years since she last saw him.

"God, Edmund. It's freezing," Y/N laughed, not moving away from him. He nodded slowly, taking off his scarf before wrapping it loosely around her neck.

Before she could utter a single word, Edmund put his index finger to her lips.

"Look, I know what you're gonna say. You really look like you need it more right now. And no, I won't freeze to death. You can make it up to me sometime. Now let's go, before this stupid crowd tramples us."

Y/N simply smiled up at him, squeezing his hand. The young boy she once had a crush on grew into a gentleman. 

"Alright then, Ed. Lead the way."

There was a variety of coloured lights scattered across the square, almost like the stars in the night sky. Edmund and Y/N continued to walk around, admiring the different stalls and decorations adorning the lamp posts for tonight's festival. Y/N looked out to the river where the boats were set up for the fireworks, to which Edmund quickly picked up on.

"Hey, why don't we go take a boat for a better view of the fireworks?"

Y/N noticed how spaced out she had been, staring out at the boats. Turning to Edmund, she shook her head guiltily. "Oh, we really don't have to . . ."

Despite her protests, Edmund took her hand. He weaved through the large crowd until they met with the boat hire shed. Edmund knew how much Y/N loved the stars and fireworks. He knew her all too well.

As soon as the pair were far from the noise of the bustling crowds, Edmund brought the boat to a halt.

"Finally . . . Some peace and quiet."