Talk Fuzzy To Me

"A mermaid can travel between planes. That must have been how lophiiformes was able communicate with Adella." Laura read from LaF's screen.

LaF calls out from their bathroom. "Yeah, J.P. said earlier that they're basically the mercenaries of the supernatural world."

"I am so glad that you escaped that encounter relatively unscathed, Laura!"

Laura smiles. "Thanks, J.P."

"Oh, there you are, Laura," Kirsch says from the hallway. "Where's Carmilla?"

Laura shrugs. "Still in our room, I guess?"

LaF steps out from the bathroom. "Come on in, Kirsch."

"Thanks, dude," he says, stepping in. He's wearing a vial around his neck, similar to the others.

"And thanks for the protection thingy."

"No problem," LaF responds. They look over to Laura. "Wasn't it Carmilla's idea for you two to go to the party tonight?"

Laura nods. "She's been oddly sentimental lately."

Perry enters the room with a small chuckle. "I think she might want some semblance of normalcy, what with all the supernatural threats you've faced lately."

"Sound familiar?" LaF laughs.

Perry swats them playfully. "Just stay safe tonight, Laura."

Laura offers Perry a warm smile. "Are you sure you guys don't wanna come?"

Kirsch nods eagerly. "There's more than enough room in my car if you want a lift."

Perry and LaF shake their heads at the same time.

"Girls have been getting attacked by something when walking home alone. Nothing too serious, but the floor dons are trying to tighten up security."

"Oh, right, the Summer Society and Zetas are working on an escort service together," Kirsch replies. "Speaking of the Summer Society, Danny will also be there tonight, so if you two change your minds, she can also give you a ride if I'm not available."

"Thanks, Kirsch, that's really sweet," Perry says.

"And I can't go because I have a lab report to write," LaF answers.

"What's it about?" Laura asks. Sometimes the science goes over her head, but watching her friend excitedly talk with a twinkle in their eyes always makes her smile.

"Oh, it's just on some research about crosslinking hydrogels with enzymes to stabilize them for biological use," LaF says. The twinkle in their eyes was starting to form. "It's got a lot of potential use for drug delivery, implants, contact lenses, and artificial devices––"

Carmilla knocks on the doorframe. "Ready to go, babe?"

It's a casual party, so they're all in jeans and t-shirts.

"Stay safe, Laura!!"

Laura laughs. "Thanks, J.P., I'll try." She pats LaF's shoulder. "And good luck with your lab report."

Kirsch and Laura join Carmilla in the hallway and wave goodbye to Perry and LaF. They head to Kirsch's car without much conversation.

Carmilla opens the door for Laura before going around and joining her in the backseat. "You look great, cutie," Carmilla whispers into Laura's ear.

Laura blushes. "You don't look so bad yourself."

Kirsch is walking in front of them and turns around with a grin. "I'm such a lucky bro to have two gorgeous ladies escorting me."