The Misinformed Idiotic Monster Hunter

"You're sure your cold is gone?" Carmilla asks from her bed.

Laura pokes her head out from the bathroom. "If I had a cookie for every time you've asked me that, I would have diabetes," she quips, before ducking back in.

"Oh, you have had a cookie for every time I've asked–– and then some." She hears Laura laugh from inside the bathroom. "Anyway, I just want to make sure we can go out without some huge disaster happening."

Laura walks out and sits on Carmilla's bed. She counts them off on her fingers. "Hmm, it was just vampire bait, you dying, fleeing from campus, the whole Mama Klaus fiasco, fireworks turning into fireballs, a troll army attacking us during a walk, food poisoning while camping..." She wiggles her fingers in the vampire's face. "Did I miss anything?"

Carmilla smirks. "I think Silas University's general apathy to weirdness is starting to rub off on you, cupcake."

"Oh, thanks for reminding me!" Laura darts over to her computer and turns on the camera. Carmilla lets out an exasperated sigh and returns to her book.

"Hey, guys! So, J.P.'s been looking at ways to close the Hellmouth, but so far the ones that have opened up have never closed. With the exception of in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And I have absolutely no intention of letting my vampire lover disappear into a big explosion of light to save everyone. Again." She looks over at Carmilla, who's still hidden behind her book.

"I'd do it again," Carmilla mumbles.

Laura turns back around and bites her lip. "Well, you're not going to." She sighs. "Anyway, he's still keeping tabs on the supernatural activity. There's not much going on, but the energy signal is growing, so just be careful." She gives the camera a thumbs-up and turns off the camera.

Carmilla lowers her book. "So, cutie? Are you up for a walk?"

"Yeah, Carm! Let's get out of here!" Laura springs up from her chair.

Carmilla rolls her eyes but smiles. "Okay, Energizer Bunny."

Laura fake pouts. "That's not an edible nickname."

"You can eat a rabbit," Carmilla remarks, kissing Laura on the cheek before walking out of the room. Laura giggles and follows her.

They walk for a bit into the now troll-less forest, holding hands but not speaking.

"Am I going to have to pry from you what you've been thinking about since we left the room, or are you just going to blow up from keeping it in?"

Laura looks over at her girlfriend and smiles halfheartedly. "It's just... You're not going to do that whole 'martyr-savior' thing, again, right? I mean, I know now how much you care about me, and you don't have to show me anymore or anything––"

Carmilla gives her a look and Laura cuts herself off and takes a deep breath.

"I just can't lose you again, okay, Carm?" Her voice cracks a bit. "I get that it was a thing you felt like you had to do for me, but it almost killed me knowing you did it to save all of us, and I don't think I could survive you doing it again."

The vampire smiles–– not her usual smirk or grin, but a genuine smile. "Laura, I promise, I will never leave you alone again."

Laura visibly relaxes and gives Carmilla a peck on the cheek. She takes a few steps forward before there's a loud crack and she lunges forward. Carmilla reaches out to grab her but gets pulled down with her. They both tumble into a large hole that leads to a pit in the ground several feet down. Carmilla manages to land on her feet, but Laura is less lucky and lands with a grunt.