fourteen

a/n: was the last chapter lame? it felt lame to me

Luke.

The next morning, I was reluctant to get out of bed out of fear that the loneliness would creep back onto me.

But once I had woken up, there was no use going back to sleep. I tossed and turned a little in my sheets before huffing and rolling onto my back, yawning and stretching out. I expected the heels of my feet to peek past the edge of the bed, but that never came:

"What?" I grumbled, rubbing at my eyes sleepily. I groggily blinked, trying to get them to focus, and when they did, I found myself frowning up at a plain white ceiling.

I slowly sat up, leaning against the headboard of the bed, and rubbed my eyes again. Nope, they weren't deceiving me. I was in a hotel room, and I knew exactly whose hotel room.

Looking around, I seemed to be quite alone. The en-suite bathroom door was open, signalling that no one was in it, and all the lights were still off.

I rubbed at my face, about to yawn when my fingers caught against my lip ring.

Lip ring. Holy shit. Oh my god.

My face broke out into a grin and I immediately threw the blankets aside, my feet landing on the cold wooden floor and guiding me to the bathroom with anticipation. I flicked on the light and grinned at my reflection.

Yes, my own reflection. I was back in my own body!

I stepped closer to the mirror, poking at my face stupidly. I was finally back. I guess Jack was right, then!

I looked down at my long legs and smiled. I had imagined it would be weird to be back in my own body after having spent so much time in Calum's, but it wasn't. It was like... I don't know. It was like going home after being away for months.

I smiled at myself once more before flipping the lights off and leaving the bathroom. I drew the curtains in my room and didn't even care when I walked into the hall in only my pyjamas, stepping across to Mikey's room. Just as I was about to knock on the door, I realised that he was probably still asleep. I decided to go tell Katie, then. She was in the room next to mine.

Katie opened at the first knock, already dressed and seemingly cheerful about something. "Hey Cal, how come you're awake already?"

"Couldnt sleep," I grinned. "I'm not Cal."

She frowned for a split second before realisation hit her. "Oh my god, you guys finally switched back!"

"Yeah!" I grinned as she pulled me into a quick hug.

"Well come on!" she laughed. "Go get dressed, I'll wake up Mikey."

I bounded back to my room, throwing on whatever pair of jeans and shirt I could find before pulling on my converses and stepping back out into the hallway. Mikey's door was slightly open so I pushed it open, stepping inside to see Katie rolling her eyes at a dishevelled Mikey.

✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

Calum.

I woke up to the annoying sound of a phone ringing. The ringtone was one of my songs, too, which made everything worse.

With my eyes still closed, I blindly groped around for the source of the sound. It was coming from under the pillow, so I shoved my hand under it and grabbed what seemed to be a phone. Opening one eye sleepily, i managed to make out the words "Calum calling" on the screen.

Too groggy to even question it, I picked up and pressured the phone to my ear. "What the fuck," I muttered as my greeting.

"Wake up sunshine! The birds are singing, it's a new day!" A voice, familiar but yet novel, squealed on the other end.

"Who the fuck is this," I grumbled, rubbing at my eyes before letting out a yawn.

"Calum, it's me. It's Luke. I'm in my own body."

"Hunh?"

"Oh my god, just- Hold on, we just reached, I'm downstairs. I'm coming up."

With that, he hung up. I groaned, shoving the phone back under my pillow and shuffling under the sheets to regain a comfortable position. However, mere moments later the door was thrown open, causing me to groan, before a heavy weight was dropped on me.

"It's too early," I grumbled, trying to roll onto my back but failing. I rubbed my eyes and yawned again, and the weight shifted to fall beside me on the tiny bed.

Blinking my eyes into focus, I moved my head back a little to make sense of what was in front of me.

Actually, not what. More like who. And that who was none other than Luke.

"What the fuck?" I muttered again, furrowing my eyebrows and blinking again.

Luke's face was happy, a huge grin on his lips and blue eyes alight with excitement. "It happened. The Switch. We've finally switched back."

At that, my eyes widened, and I brought my hand up to my face. Sure enough, there they were, the three black letters inked into my skin between my thumb and index finger. I wiggled my fingers before laughing out in disbelief and excitement, feeling like I was finally truly relaxed and comfortable.

I looked back at Luke, who was biting at his lip ring gently, curious eyes trailed on me.

"Come here, soulmate," I murmured, extending my arms as much as I could in his tiny bed, and he grinned, blotting himself against me. I laughed, pulling the sheets out from under him and throwing them over the two of us again before pulling his body close to mine. He nuzzled his face against the crook of my neck and I smiled, an arm lazily draped around his waist.

It was easy and almost like second-nature, lying here beside him. I kissed the top of his head and he sighed happily, fingers curling into my shirt.

"This is so much better," he mumbled, and I hummed. "No offence, Cal, but I like my body better.

I chuckled. "Me too, Luke."

He lifted his head from my neck to face me, eyes taking in every feature of my face - as if he hadn't had the chance to during these past three weeks.

"It's nicer to look at you in person," he whispered as if it was a secret. "Through posters or through a mirror just doesn't do it justice."

I smiled, moving my hand from his waist to the hair at the back of his head. "You're telling me."

He began playing with his lip ring again, and my eyes flitted downwards, the thoughts I had had while in his body flooding back. I moved closer to him, the tips of our noses touching and our eyes slipping shut. We stayed like that for a moment before I made a move, tilting my head and pressing my lips firmly against his.

And, alright. I had kissed a decent amount of people in my lifetime, and I had to say, Luke was good at this. He tugged at my bottom lip gently and I was basically wrapped around his finger, returning the favour by biting at his lip ring.

Hey, if he was my soulmate, I had no reason to complain. I had decided that I could kiss him forever, and I was planning on doing just that.

a/n: literally half asleep while writing this so please excuse incoherences or typos! Love you all x