4

I sleep alright but in the morning I mount my dragon that is surprisingly still there, and head further east.

After we leave the great mountains I see only distant trees far off on the horizon. I clutch the ropes of my dragon as we soar over the hills of grass and the gentle gatherings of trees, spotting a river ahead of us that runs from north to south.

I angle him upward, wanting to hurry with this trip because of my sore thighs that rub against the dragon's saddle, and my tail bone that is probably just as bruised from riding this long. Luckily the wind is on our side. And we move much faster than we did yesterday.

We come up on the woods, trees of oranges and reds beneath us, looking like a field of fire smeared by the painter's brush, a road cutting through the trees towards where we journey.

Before we left I had checked the map to see what exactly I am supposed to be looking for here; which is large mountains among the trees. The forest road that I spot now is supposed to lead there.

We follow it for hours, seeing old dead trees spotted among the living ones, like this forest has returned from a long lasted sleep, finally blooming again after it seemed to be dead.

The sun makes the leaves seem bright vermilion in this world so not grey... unlike the world I am used to. But this places looks like an explosion of oil paints that my mother had always said were too expensive to let me have.

It is refreshing. And I smile at the sight before me. Even here thousands of feet above the ground I have a little joy in this... maybe it's just the scenery talking.

I duck when I hear small birds fly over me and I grin as I watch them dance in the sky around us.

But soon I come up to a rock mountain ahead. I decide to land there among the fire orange trees a bit far from a visible entrance, the beautiful leaves flowing about the wind under the flapping of my monster's wings. I didn't want to appear to these people with a dark evil creature at my side. It wasn't really the best first impression.

But as I slide off I don't tie up the creature but tell it to shoo. It doesn't seem to know where to go but just stands there. Ah well... whatever.

I had through the trees with a sigh, leaving the beast there but hoping it knows to flee, I don't really want to see it shot by men or elves or anyone out here.

I walk down the road and head towards the short bridge that connects a cliff to the other side, where mighty gates into the stone wall of the mountain are, framed by gorgeous carved pillars, a kingdom inside a mountain. Immediately upon seeing it and the surroundings of falling leaves from the autumn trees I felt as a child in a fairy tale, walking over the thin bridge. But two guards, tall and dressed in golden armor with designs I could look at all day are at the gate as I approach. I can't see their faces from under the elaborate looking helmets. 

I breathe and walk up, them stopping me by saying, "Halt."

"What business do you have here, human?" one asks in a voice less rugged than the others I am used to hearing here.

"I have to speak with whoever is in charge. I was sent by a ranger of the name Strider. If you know him, you know I am a friend. I come seeking your leader's council... whoever your leader is," I explain.

"We don't let wondering travelers into our kingdom, no matter who they claim to know. What council would you have with our king?"

"I need to ask him about this," I say and show them the mark on my hand.

They are very still but their little movements tell me that something in them has changed.

They look at each other and after a moment one says, "We will escort you. Do not try anything or it will be your demise."