Chapter Twenty-Eight - Long Live

%Katniss%

Walking into school felt different -- somehow. The air around her felt lighter, she felt happier, and things just looked nicer in general. That was saying a lot, too. School was usually miserable no matter what. But she came to terms with the realization that if she felt brighter, everything looked brighter. Maybe it was because Peeta had kind of forgiven her.

But that was all shoved into the back of her mind when that happy aura came crashing down around her.

Annie was walking towards her very slowly, and Katniss knew that the girl was giving her a chance to walk away if she wanted to. But Katniss made no movements to suggest that she was going to leave. She allowed Annie to come to a sheepish halt in front of her. They didn't say anything, just sort of stared at each other.

And then, all at once, Annie blurted, "Katniss, I am so sorry for everything that happened yesterday, I had no intentions for that to happen. I didn't really want to leave, but Finnick got up, so I got up, and it was stupid to choose him over you, but I really like him, but you're my best friend. I don't know what I expected coming over here, but I just wanted to apologize. Bye."

Annie went to trudge away in shame, but Katniss reached out and gripped her arm. She didn't know why she was forgiving the redhead, but she was. There had always been that innocence that floated around Annie, and maybe that was why. You could never really blame her for anything.

"Where's Finnick now?" she asked quietly.

"At home, he got sick yesterday -- why?" Annie frowned, not to sure what point Katniss was trying to get across to her. "Do you need him to apologize? Because I'm sure he's sorry, too, he just doesn't know you that well. I can get him on the phone --"

"Annie," Katniss interrupted, "stop rambling. It's fine. I just wanted to know if you had to get back to him or not."

The shorter girl blinked. "Oh. Then, no. No, I'm kind of on my own today. I left Johanna's little rebellion. Turning against people isn't really my thing, so, I guess I came crawling back to you. I'm really sorry for what happened --"

"You talk a lot, Ann. Sometimes too much. But, it's fine, really. I accept your apology. I miss you guys, I was afraid I was gonna walk in here with no one to talk to," Katniss said, cutting her off once more.

Katniss realized that that wasn't totally true. She was on good terms with Gale, and she was going to sit with Peeta at lunch. She'd have someone to talk to. But, deep down, what she really wanted was to turn back the clock and enjoy the simpler times with all of her friends. She didn't know what -- or rather, who -- she wanted, but she knew she'd trade almost anything for her friends.

"Well, you can talk to me now. I'm here forever. Team Katniss all the way. The others are the same way, I know it. They'll come around. Johanna will, too, she's just stubborn and upset," she said, reaching out and rubbing Katniss' shoulder. "I know she misses you."

Katniss nodded, a little smile finding its place on her lips. She wanted to believe that, she really did. But the way Johanna had just snapped at the bakery... It stuck with her, it was like it was breathing down her shoulder, reminding her of its presence; of the truth revealed by Johanna. Maybe she would reconcile with Katniss sooner rather than later, but it certainly wasn't happening today.

"Let's hope so."

~

Lunch seemed to approach rapidly, the hours on the clock ticking away. As she walked towards the cafeteria, Annie at her side, she thought of how, in less than a few minutes, she'd be sitting across from Peeta, having an actual conversation. It made her heart jump into her throat, she could barely form words to answer whatever Annie asked.