1 ~ Let it be

Otis

Ruby huffed quivering her upper lip stood me watching me pack up my things in my backpack as I continued to ignore her.

"OT, please!" She cried putting her palm upon my shoulder before I shoved her away and turned to give her a death glance.

After backing up my backpack I stormed passed Ruby flaring my nostrils in disgust. Exiting her bedroom door heading downstairs to leave through the front door without turning back.

Ruby followed me outside her massive driveway in floors of tears.

"Otis, I'm sorry. I feel stupid about messing around with Marco behind you back"

Opening up the passage door of my car a Red Ford Focus throwing my backpack inside then slammed the door.

"You're sorry, Ruby" A measure of rage consumed me as I took a shape exhale of breath to calm myself down. "Really?"

Ruby swallowed hard, nodding. "If you wanna believe it or not it's the fucking true and I'm not one to express my feelings"

She sniffed wiping away her tears. We stood in silence for a minute or so until I broke it.

"We're not right for each other" I scratched the back of my head letting out a sigh of relief upon my lips.

Ruby fixed her eyes towards the floor crossing her arms across her chest.

"You're right, Otis"  She sucked her tongue then closed her eyes before reopening them and looked at me square in the eye.

"We're different people. We always have and always will be" Ruby tucked a piece of her dark brown hair behind her earlobe.

This was a huge step for Ruby to take compared to her usual mean girl Regina George status in and out of Moordale Sixth Form.

And I was still that tall, awkward, shy, ocean blue eyed, dark raven haired and pale skinned sex kid who everyone goes to sex advice for.

But as an adult I was now a officially qualified therapist.

Soon another silence was etched between us. But it lasted shorter after Ruby spoke up again.

Her next words was something.

I.

Never.

Thought.

Would.

Come.

Out.

Of.

Her.

Mouth.

"Have you been in touch with Maeve since she left for America?"

With a simple shake of my head I shrugged burning my hands below the pockets of my Levi jeans. "No we haven't spoken since she left"

Ruby nodded casting her eyes upon her manicured pink fingernails.

"And this was a mutual decision?"

"Yeah we both agreed to do so"

Carefully scanning her fingers. Ruby, took it upon herself to remove the golden engagement ring from her index finger.

The sun's glowing beam hit the ring above Ruby's driveway where she and I were currently stood.

Ruby's hand blushed mine as she dropped her engagement in my warm palm.

"What if you both started talking again, Otis?" She queried curving a noticeable small grin across her lips.

I couldn't find the words to reply because all I could about think was Maeve.

What if she and I did ever start talking again? Would it be the same like it was before or not at all.

Only.

Time.

Will.

Tell.

"Maybe one day Ruby, Maybe one day" I proudly, proclaimed with a smile.

Ruby ran over to hug in a tight embrace before quickly pulling away to return back to her usual spot.

"See ya later, Otis" She spoke in her typical cold-hearted tone pushing up her upper quivering lip.

I gently rested my hand on Ruby's shoulder nodding.

"See you ya Later, Ruby" I turned my back feeling a  slighty relieved unlocking my car then hopped into the driver's seat.

Carefully dropping Ruby's engagement ring inside of the top pocket of my navy blue Trent coat.

Once the ignition started I caught Ruby's glance through the rear mirror before she retreated back in her hugely expensive cobblestoned house.

I drove out of the private neighbourhood and turned a corner leading to the direction of my own home.

Poured in thoughts of Ruby and I's earlier conversation about Maeve.

"Have you been in touch with Maeve since she left for America?"

"No we haven't spoken since she left"

"And this was a mutual choice?"

"Yeah we both agreed to do so"

"What if you both started talking again, Otis?"

"Maybe one day Ruby, Maybe one day"

And deep down I hoped that day would come but sooner than later.