Chapter 3

Grace mentally flip-flopped all afternoon about agreeing to go along with her new friends. On the one hand, she'd just met them, and from what she'd witnessed during lunch, they seemed like nothing but trouble. On the other hand, she'd been in this town for more than two months without having fun once, and it was Halloween.

If there was any night a little mischief could be forgiven, it was on this one.

The rest of the school day passed by at an excruciatingly slow pace. Luckily, Mom and Tommy had Scouts and Dad was working late as always, so she had a chance to get ready for the night in peace.

Not that she was planning on wearing anything special. Her regular attire of black-on-black – slimming, easy to accessorize, as well as always in-style – was perfect for what Jack, Maddie, and Luke had roped her into. Releasing fifty-thousand ladybugs in Mountain View High School sounded just wild enough as a starter prank, but not serious enough to warrant any criminal charges.

Sneaking out of the house through her bedroom window after she knew no one would look for her, Grace ran to the end of the block where a car was waiting. She hopped in the back seat next to Maddie, and Jack floored the gas pedal.

They drove on silently until they'd left the residential area. Because her stomach was already in knots, Grace tried to make light of the situation. "Are you guys sure the bugs will be all right? I mean, they won't have anything to eat inside the school, unless you count whatever they serve for lunch as food."

Maddie grimaced. "Uhm, we kinda had some change of plans."

"What kind of change of plans?" Grace's eyes widened at the news.

Luke turned around in front of her. "We heard there was something going on out at Beckett's Farm and figured we'd check it out."

Grace's palms began to sweat. "What kind of something?"

Maddie threw her arm around Grace's shoulder. "Stop worrying about everything. You'll see soon enough."

Soon enough turned out to be about ten minutes later, when the car carrying the four teens turned off the rural highway, drove up a winding, dirt road, and – emerging from a thicket of trees – arrived at a run-down farmhouse. It wasn't the residence that caught Grace's attention, but rather the dozens of vehicles parked around it.

"Where are we? What's going on?" She asked, as Jack parked and they got out of the car.

"We are at Beckett's Farm, and this is the best Halloween party in all of Montana." Luke pushed her forward.

Even before rounding the rickety house that looked like it could fall apart in a good wind, Grace smelled burned wood. There were also the clear sounds of a celebration wafting through the air: music, laughter, and other indications of fun that she hadn't heard in a really long time.

"This is freaking awesome!" She exclaimed, seeing the huge bonfire surrounded by what looked like to be every teenager in Gallatin. "Oh, my God! Is that my brother?"

Grace stared wide-eyed at Tommy. The fifteen-year-old was illuminated by the light of the fire as he chatted-up a fellow Freshman, both holding a ubiquitous red Solo cup.

The girl was about to head toward her brother when Luke grabbed her arm and grinned. "Hold up. Let me take care of this."

Grace watched as the blonde teen weaved his way between the students milling about, rounded the pyre, and approached her brother. Waiting until a small group of girls passed by the duo, Luke expertly bumped into Tommy.

The boy's drink spilled all over his T-shirt, making him step back and throw his arms up. "Aww, shit. Watch where you're going, will ya'?" He yelled after the girls, oblivious to Luke who'd slipped out of view.