•Part Ten•

OKAY I SWEAR TO GOD IT WILL ALL BE BETTER. SCOUTS HONOR. I felt bad; making you guys wait for forever for an update, so this is SUPER long. You're welcome. (:

-Hailey xx

-Devon's Point Of View.-

It had been a few days since I left Harry and it was taking its toll on me. I couldn't sleep without having nightmares, I was losing weight rapidly; food tasted awful in my mouth whenever I tried to eat it, so I gave up on it all together and to my horror; I was developing dark purple bags under my eyes, and makeup wasn't hiding it anymore.

I couldn't bring myself to say his name anymore. The pain it caused me was unlike any emotion I had ever felt; it was like a knife to my heart every time I heard it so I eventually stopped listening.

Niall was getting progressively angrier with me as the days turned into weeks. He never turned his anger unto me; but I could see it in his cold, remote eyes.

I regretted the choice I had made the second I made it; but I knew it was the right thing to do. It wasn't fair to Harry to lose every single thing he had ever valued in his life; I couldn't live with myself knowing I'd stayed with him when I full well knew I was the cause of all his heartache.

Louis and Mara would come over to see me every so often. When Mara and Louis would ask Niall how I was handling things they talked in hush tones as if it wasn't safe for me to hear. They would treat me as if I was a broken toy, and that it was their job to fix me.

Mara and Louis bless their souls; they were trying so hard to keep me occupied, to keep me happy; taking me to movies and buying me things and just keeping me busy hopping their efforts would keep me happy.

The truth of the matter was; I would never be happy again. Not without Harry.

He had left a voicemail on my phone; one not a soul but us knew about;

Devon . . . its Harry. I . . . God this is so stupid, just come back to me please? Please Devon? His voice cracked towards the end, and it made it all the more worse.

I would listen to it in the middle of the night when Niall had already gone to sleep. I don't know why I did it; I was only hurting myself more, every time I heard his voice speak my name softly on the saved message, I would die a little more.

I jumped five feet in the air when my phone rang, pulling me out of the darkness just slightly. The caller ID stated it was Mara; I contemplated not answering, maybe if you didn't move or speak it would leave you alone. But I couldn't do that to her, I owed her. She had tried so hard to keep me happy.

"Hello?" The deadness of my voice surprised me even, and I tried not to let it bother me.

"Up for shopping?" Mara's bright voice rang from the phone; it gave me the urge to put a hand over my ear.

No, I thought.

"Sure, what do you have in mind?" I replied back to her. She happily started speaking about boutiques and McDonald's lunch dates, but I had left my head again; I had found myself doing that recently, tuning out of conversations because I wasn't strong enough to keep them going.

A few minutes later after I gave her the necessary yesses and clucking sounds, she hung up the phone with the promise of being there in fifteen minutes looming over my head.

"Dev.?" I heard Niall's voice and turned to find him standing at the door way.

"Yes?" I still sounded dead, even if I did try to put some emotion into it.

"I-I just wanted to tell you to have fun with Mara." He smiled at me warmly and I tried so hard to conjure up a smile for him but it just wouldn't come.

"Alright," I nodded. I expected that to be the end of It, but by the look of Niall's face I could tell that it wasn't.

"Anything else, Niall?" I asked him, his face looked relieved that he didn't have to bring it up by himself.

"I'm worried about you." Last week, that comment would have risen a fight out of me, but I was tired of all the fights. I was defeated.

"I think everyone is." I answered him, he looked stunned that I hadn't started a fight.

"He misses you." Niall said suddenly, and I stopped dead in my tracks.

"I miss him too," I said without looking at him.

"Why are you doing this to yourself? And to him? He's a wreck." Hearing Niall say that Harry was suffering broke my heart even more than it already was, which was near impossible. Why was I doing this? It wasn't helping us.; if anything, it was making everything ten million times worse.

"I thought I was protecting him." I answered, and Niall's face softened.

"Devon, its Harry's job to protect you." Niall spoke, with a small smile on his face.

"It's our job to protect each other. I thought this was what I was suppose to do." I sounded very tired.

"I think you should talk to him; he's a mess." Niall repeated.

"I'll try," I said, then I walked out the door.

I saw Mara's car and jogged over to it. I threw it open and threw my body inside the car. I sighed rather loudly as I pulled the seat belt around my body; though Mara made no note of it. She stared talking about this new hot guy in school, how he was just my type and how I needed to go back to school and hurry; the teachers wouldn't believe I had the flu forever.

I nodded when I felt I was supposed to; but didn't offer up any conversation myself.

"Have you talked to Harry?" I blurted out before I could stop myself. I slapped my hand over my mouth as soon as it had come out; as if I could have taken it back.

Mara sent me a stunned look; which quickly turned into sorrow as she stared at me.

"You told me not to talk about him with you." She replied back shortly.

"I know; but I can't handle this anymore. I can't handle not being with him because in all honesty he is my life; I don't know how I can do this without him." There they were. The words I had been trying to say.

Mara turned and looked at me with a small smile on her face. She pulled over into the road and turned her body to face mine.

"He isn't handling this any better than you are; probably worse. The last I checked on him he had all of his knuckles split and an angry cut just above his left eyebrow." Something in her eyes told me she was holding something back; but I didn't care. Anything was better than nothing at all.

"Oh." I replied back.

"Honey, this needs to stop." Mara said to me, I turned and looked at her suddenly, confused.

"What needs to stop?"

"You and Harry. It is obvious you both love each other and not being together is tearing you apart. I understand you have some issues to deal with, and so does he but you two need to get your shit together, because you two need each other. I have never seen you as happy as you were with Harry. Never. Now get your shit together and go talk to him." Mara's sternness surprised me. She had never been the type to care that much. I stared at her, my jaw touching the floor.

"What? What are you staring at?" She stared at me with a worried expression on her face as I stared at her. Then, a wondrous sound filled the car, one I never thought I'd hear again.

I started laughing.

"You're-right." I gasped as I tried to control my laughter. "So totally right. I'll talk to him tonight; but first, we need to shop." My laughing startled her, but she smiled at me and pulled the car out of the side of the road she had pulled over in.

She was right. Obviously, Harry hadn't cared that he'd lost what he lost for me; otherwise he wouldn't have stayed with me. He wouldn't have ever told me he loved me or saved me and I suddenly longed for his touch, for his voice. I had made the biggest mistake of my life, leaving him.

And I planned on fixing it.

Sastisfied, Mara began to drive again; with a smile on her face as she pulled her phone out.

-Harry's Point Of View.-

I stared out the window without really seeing anything; it was almost as if I was staring at everything in black and white, the color seeping out through the tree limbs and dripping from the clouds in the sky.

I hadn't moved a muscle in days, and this amazed me. She was just a human girl. A human girl; and she had the ability to do this to me.

Devon, I thought to myself; her beautiful smile popping into my mind, and It felt like a knife to my heart. I wanted her back; I wanted to make her smile like that again. I missed her, without her I was lost.

Gemma had been taking care of me since the night Devon left; nearly three weeks ago. I don't understand why she cared really, why she did all this for me; but she did, and if she hadn't I'd probably be dead right now.

For about the millionth time, I thought about calling her. I just needed her to answer; I just needed to hear her voice, just to make sure she was okay. If she was okay; it would hurt but I could try to be okay too.

I sincerely hopped she wasn't as depressed as I was, but Mara and Louis old me otherwise. It hurt me to hear how she was acting. Depressed and distant, not talking to anyone unless she had to; locking herself in her room so she could avoid all human contact. It made me want to hold her and sing to her and rock her to sleep, I wanted to take her pain away.

They told me she couldn't even stand to hear my name; she had made them stop saying it. They referred to me as curly when she was around. Her eyes had remained grey for weeks, Niall had informed me.

I guess they thought I was strong enough to be able to handle the subject of Devon; but I wasn't. I was even worse then she was, I was just better at hiding it than she was. Every time I heard her name or saw Niall I died a little more inside.

I hadn't allowed myself to hear her thoughts; or anyone's because if I had listened to anyone's, I would have been temped to listen in on hers and I couldn't risk that. I couldn't handle letting myself hear her horrible dark thoughts, I couldn't know how much she missed me.

Because she left on her own accord; for whatever the reason, she left and that's what she wanted to do, and if I heard her depressed thoughts I would run to her and make her listen to reason, make her love me again.

But that was ridicules. She loved me still, that much I could tell. I could tell that I still loved her when my eyes would turn gold at the thought of her.

My phone buzzed; chirping rather loudly, as Mara's face showed up on my lock screen. I opened the message, and just stared at it.

From: Mara.
Devon's ready to talk to you; you're welcome. (:

I couldn't believe it. Mara had brought my Devon back to me, and for that I was grateful.

To: Mara.
When? Where?

She replied instantly.

From: Mara
Calm yourself. She said tonight. She looks kind of sexually frustrated if you catch my drift. . .

I laughed despite myself at her message.

To: Mara.
We haven't even had sex yet.

I don't know why I told her that.

From: Mara.
Dude. Seriously? Don' take this the wrong way but you seem like a . . . sex god.

Then I was really laughing.

To: Mara.
Gee, thanks. I think. And yes, we haven't. She said she wasn't ready, and I respect that.

From: Mara.
Whoa. Chivalry does still exist.

To: Mara.
Yeah, its rare but you can find it. Thank you, for bringing Deon back to me.

From: Mara.
It wasn't me. I didn't do anything; it was all Devon. She brought herself back.

I couldn't form words to text back, so I didn't. Devon was still mine, as she would always be.

-Devon's Point Of View.-

"Just show up in front of gold ole' Harold wearing this beautiful ensemble." Mara grinned from ear to ear as she presented a very revealing bra and underwear set as we stood in Victoria's Secret. Even for Victoria's Secret, it was very revealing. I felt my face heat up at the thought of wearing that in front of Harry. I dashed over to Mara and took it out of her hands, placing it back where it belonged.

Mara frowned, took her stuff up to the counter and paid for it. We had settled down in the food court, food stuffed in our mouths when Mara smiled.

"There is a very hot guy watching you over there," She nodded discreetly in the direction she was looking in. I felt my body go cold all over. I only ever felt that way when Michael had been watching me.

"Does he have black hair?" I heard the fear in my voice; it shook slightly. A confused expression crossed over Mara's voice as she squinted.

"No, he's blonde. Very blonde. Nearly white." She answered me, and then it was my turn to be confused. Michael had black hair, not blonde. Maybe I was just being paranoid, maybe it was just a very nice cute boy who found the back of my head attractive.

Even if he did, It wouldn't have mattered. I was Harry's.

"That's weird." Mara muttered, turning to look at me.

"What's weird?" I asked her, curiosity taking my voice over.

"He has like. . . black smoke like coils curling around him." She answered and I froze. The only person who I had ever seen with black coils was Harry. This stranger who was watching me certainly was not Harry; Harry had brown curly hair for one, and I would have known if he was watching me, and I knew this was not Harry. I jerked around in my seat, looking for this stranger that Mara was talking about. I knew he was bad, my early hopes for him being innocent were now tarnished. But as I twisted my body around in my seat, I saw no one. No blonde person watching me. I turned and looked at Mara with a confused expression on my face.

"Okay, I swear to God someone was over there." I cringed as she brought up God. She had no idea how close she was.

I smiled slightly at her, and turned back around. The guy didn't show up again; if he did Mara didn't mention it. I tried to feel safe; I mean the guy had disappeared. But the feeling of eyes on my back never left me, not even as we finished our food and began to get ready to leave the mall.

A creepy feeling settled in the air as I checked my surroundings for any creepy blond heads, but I came up empty.

If it hadn't been Michael who was watching me,

Then who was it?

It had started to rain as we left the Mall. We walked out with giggles filling our mouths and love filling our hearts as we carrying fifty pounds worth of bags. Conveniently, Mara had parked about as far away from the store as you could have possibly gotten, but I found myself not minding as we squealed and giggled; racing to the car trying to stay dry.

We reached the car and got in as fast as we could. Despite our efforts at trying to stay dry, we were both drenched. I laughed at something funny Mara had said as she put her keys in the ignition. I felt beads of cold sweat build up on the back of my neck as we heard a clicking sound instead of the car roaring to life. I tried to ignore the rock of dread that sat in the bottom of my stomach like a boulder, but it wouldn't budge.

"One two three NOT IT!" I shouted as she shouted not it a few seconds late.

"Bitch." She grumbled at me as she kicked the door open.

"Love you too, sweetness." I smiled back at her.

"Screw you. With a cactus." She replied back to me slamming the door, and I winced a little at her comment.

It was dark and raining outside, so I could barely see Mara's silhouette as she stood in front of the car. She pulled the trunk open and went to work; bored, I started listening to my iPod.

"Damn it's cold!" Mara screeched as got back in the car. She had a hopeful expression on her face when she turned the key; but we kept hearing a clicking sound. I automatically thought back to what had happened the last time I heard the sound in a car and I suppressed the shiver. Harry had been there to save me the first time; but he wasn't here now.

"Lift the top." I instructed her as she slid out of the car again and I took her place in the passenger's seat. I twisted the key hard one more time just to make sure that it wasn't going to come on; but I all I got was a click.

"Here, try it now." I heard Mara yell from the front; I twisted the key once more and the car roared to life. As I slipped out of the car to go back to my side, a shiver raced down my back, and not for the first time I knew I wasn't alone.

"Mar?" I voiced aloud; searching for the now missing girl. The hood of the car was still lifted, but she was nowhere to be found. I heard a loud bang in the sky and then lightning flashed; I couldn't help but take that as a bad omen. Then it started to pour.

"Mara come on now this isn't funny!" I shouted rather angrily. When she came out of wherever she was hiding I was going to kick her ass.

Though I heard no sound, not even a peep. I looked around, searching for the hot-pink weather coat she had just put on a few seconds before she left the car, but all I saw was an alley. I swallowed a lump in my throat as I stared at the alley. With dread in my heart I suddenly realized that Mara probably wasn't hiding from me to get a good laugh.

"Looking for someone?" I whirled around searching for the voice; and when I found its generator, I took a step back.

"Michael." I yelled through the rain; the thunder making it hard to understand me.

"Where's your boyfriend? Oh wait. He isn't your boyfriend anymore is he? Such a shame, leaving you here all alone." He smiled a nasty smile at me; my skin crawled in reaction.

"Leave me alone." I yelled at him again, and his smile got bigger. He was in front of me in a flash, grabbing my hair and jerking my head back so fast I had to bite my cheek to keep from screaming out, and I tasted blood. The little hole in my stomach from Michael's last free-for-all with me began to burn. He put his lips to my throat and rested there for a minute, before her jerked away from me and pushed me to the ground. I landed on my arm with a thud and to my horror I felt something pop out of place.

"Get up." Michael shouted at me, and when I didn't comply he grabbed me and jerked me up; a cry erupted from my throat as he pulled on the arm he had just damaged.

"Let's go find your friend Mara. Oh Mara! Can you hear me?" He started to laugh, "Oh wait! Of course you can't! I snapped your neck!" He laughed hysterically then, and I paused to throw up. I couldn't believe his words, Mara wasn't dead. She couldn't be dead; he was just trying to mess with me.

He rounded a corner and threw me to the side. I landed on the ground and next to me was Mara. Very much alive.

"Mara! Are you ok-"

"Don't rejoice for too long." Michael interrupted me, "She'll be dead in a few minutes." He jerked her away from me. He held her up facing me, his hands rested on her neck.

"Now, I want you to undress Devon." He smiled at me and I felt my heart sink.

"Now! Or I break her neck!" He shouted, which knocked me into action. I slid my coat off and let it hit the ground and I stood there shivering in the dark; praying that this would satisfy him; but I knew it wouldn't.

"Keep going." The sight of his hands on Mara made me want to throw up.

"You're taking too long." He sounded bored.

"Why are you doing this?" My voice cracked but I refused to cry; not in front of him.

"Because I'm bored." He said simply.

And then he snapped Mara's neck.

"NO!" I darted forward and caught her as she fell. I laid her gently on the ground, blocking out Michael as he began to laugh.

I searched Mara, looking for a heartbeat or any sign of life even though I knew I wouldn't find one.

"No Mara no no no please answered me!" I started to sob. "MARA ANSWER ME DAMMIT!" I shouted. I began to rock her in my arms. Her neck was twisted in an unnatural way as I held her, and I tried to steer clear of that.

"Mara please. Please answer me. Please wake up. You aren't dead, you can't be. Please don't leave me Mara." I sobbed over and over again. Her body wasn't warm as it had been an hour ago; she was cold as I held her in my arms, but I couldn't let her go.

I don't know how long I laid there, my body covering Mara's protectively. She was starting to smell funny. I don't know where Michael went, but he must have left because no one was trying to kill me.

Someone's warm arms wrapped around me then, and I blindly fought him off, but his warm arms held me protectively, and he wouldn't let me go.
-Harry's Point Of View.- (One Hour Before.)

"Hello, Harry." I spun around to an all to familiar voice; one that I hated. I had heard it a lot in my time in heaven.

"Zophiel." I grunted, staring at anything but him. I forced my self to look at him; he looked no different than he had three hundred years ago. Still slightly shorter than me, with brown eyes and shortly cropped sandy blond hair; extremely blond hair but no where near as blond as Devon's.

"How are you?" he asked politely. It was one thing I couldn't stand about Angels above all else. They were cunning and evil and would sell you out in a minute if it would save their ass, and yet they act polite to your face.

"Fine." I grunted through my teeth, refraining from punching his face.

"That's wonderful, Harry Styles." He spoke to me like he knew something; the very thought made my stomach heave.

"Do you need something or . . . ?" I didn't finish my sentence. Three hundred years ago, I would have been scared to speak to a Higher Up like that; but now I didn't care.

"Well, Mr. Styles. I'm just here making sure you kept up with your promise." He spoke, I stiffened.

"And I would have said it seemed to me that you had, indeed stayed away from the old soul if I hadn't encountered her in the mall. She reeks of the decay of your wings." He grinned at me and suddenly I was on him.

"DID YOU TOUCH HER? I WILL FUCKING END YOU IF YOU LAYED A FINGER ON HER!" I screamed into his face, but he grinned.

"You aren't helping your case much, are you Harry?" Zophiel glared at me with his brown eyes, I didn't blink.

"She could be killed for loving you." He laughed.

I punched him.

"Don't fuck with me Zophiel. You may be a higher up, but I've been an angel far longer than you." I snarled in his face. For a split second he looked frightened, but it was gone no sooner than it came..

"You don't scare me." He smiled, his teeth covered in blood.

"That's because you're not very smart." I was still on him, nearly killing him.

"You think you can fix everything," He muttered to me, "You think you can save her. You can't. You can't fix everything Harry." He said to me, looking me straight in the eye.

"Well, you're right." I said, surprise filling his face.

"I am?" He sounded incredulous.

"Yes, because you're stupid. And even I can't fix stupid." I said, sarcastically..

"Oh Harry, you have got a lot to learn."

I was getting frustrated and tired of looking at him; already tired of hearing his voice, and he'd been here about five minutes.

"And you're here for what again?" I completely ignored his comment..

He sighed.

"I'm here to warn you; don't think I'm going to help you every time your girl's in danger, because I'm not; but I feel like I owe you this. When I was watching Devon at the mall, I sensed someone else. Someone else was watching her and for whatever the reason," He paused gauging my reaction, then he continued, "He wanted to hurt her."

I was off of him in a heartbeat. I pulled him off of the ground and slammed him against the wall, forcing the air out of his lungs.

"Who." Was al I said.

"M--Michael." He choked, his face turning slightly purple.

"Where is she?" I asked, though he didn't respond.

"GOD FUCKING WHERE IS SHE ZOPHIEL:?! He shrank back at my screaming, and I couldn't help it; I was seeing red, I wanted to kill the first living thing I could get my hands on.

"I don't--don't" He stuttered.

"Wrong answer," I muttered to him, "Tell me where she is and I just might not kill you." I sounded deadly, even to myself.

"A--Alley--Dark Alley--" He stuttered, and in a second I dropped him and was walking out the door.

"You better not be here when I come back with Mara and Devon, or I'll finish what I started."

"You won't come back with Mara." He coughed, and I turned around and looked at him.

"What do you mean?" I took a step towards him and he automatically took a step back.

"She's already dead."
.
-Devon's Point Of View.- (Present.)

"Devon, Devon it's me!" Harry's voice rang out and the sound of it made me stop. I never thought I would hear his voice again.

"Harry Harry please help me! She's not breathing make her breathe please don't take her away from me oh please god don't take her away." I started to sob, louder than I ever thought possible as I watched Harry kneel down beside Mara and feel for a pulse I know he wouldn't find. He then rose slowly and turned to look at me. He had such sorrow in his eyes as he looked at me. He walked over to me and dropped to his knees, pulling me to him. My head rested against his chest as I sat and cried; instead of pushing away, I pulled him as close to me as he could get.

"We have to go." He murmured in my ear and I shot away from him, crawling back over to Mara.

"We can't leave her." My voice didn't sound like my own. I put my head down on Mara's chest, awkwardly hugging her as I pleaded with God to bring her back to me.

"We can't do anything more for her Devon, we have to go." Harry's warm arms circled protectively around my body as he pulled me away from Mara's body; I didn't fight him. He hugged me tighter as I started to sob again.

"NO! Oh god not her. Come back Mara please please don't leave me alone Mara please I NEED YOU!" I shouted and screamed and sobbed into Harry's chest, though no one heard my heartbreak, because the wind carried it away, silencing the night and everything in it.

Harry carried me to his car and sat me inside of it. The warm familiar interior of his car was comforting, and I stopped crying; a cold calm settling over me.

As Harry began to drive, not uttering a word to me, I suddenly felt very lonely and I felt the need for something, anything to hold on to, to stay grounded. So I grabbed Harry's hand. He looked at me surprised, but he didn't let go of my hand. Instead, he wound his fingers tightly around mine.

I knew then that we had never broken up; he never gave up on me, he was just waiting for me to realize my mistake.

His phone rang, and he answered it, somehow managing not to wreck us as he did.

"Yes, I found her." He muttered into the phone; my heart fluttered at the sound of his voice. It had been so long since I had heard it.

"Mara's . . ." he stopped and looked at me. I squeezed his hand and nodded reassuringly. It hurt, and I wanted to cry but as long as Harry was with me I could handle whatever it was.

"She's dead." He answered and I heard the other line go silent.

"I'm taking her home." Harry said again. "No Niall, my home." Harry replied again.

Harry snapped the phone shut and turned and looked at me.

"My god Devon, I'm so sorry." He squeezed my hand tightly.

My whole chest shook.

"It'll be alright." Harry said, and when he did something inside me broke.

"I don't know what I can do without her! I can't live without her and the worst thing is he did it because he was bored! Harry he was bored!" I sobbed; and Harry pulled off into the side of the road.

"He?" He asked, fear creeping into his voice.

"Michael. He snapped her-her neck right in front of me." I cried harder, and Harry pulled me to him for the third time that night. But I felt him stiffen.

"I'll kill him for doing that to you." Harry's fist clenched on my back.

I didn't reply, but I cried harder into his chest as he held me.

"It's okay baby, it's alright." He muttered to me as he rocked me back in forth, quietly singing a song.

"How can I live without her?" I muttered into his chest.

"I'll help you." He lifted my face up to his and kissed me softly. (A/N HAVE YOU FIST PUMPED THE AIR YET? I HAVE!!)

He pulled away and kissed my forehead lightly.

"Never leave me again." He muttered fiercely to me, and I nodded.

He silently pulled out of the road and began to drive home.

I somehow fell asleep as he drove us home. I went to move my shoulder but hissed as a shot of pain flared through my body. I then distantly remembered Michael pushing me to the ground and hearing my shoulder pop. Up until now I hadn't felt any pain but now that it had registered it was all I could concentrate on. An icy feeling shot throughout my shoulder blade; it raced down my arm and I could feel the feeling of pain through my fingers. I bit my lip, trying to hide the pain from Harry. This was the last thing he needed. I stared out the window, trying to concentrate on anything other than pain.

"You're hurt." Harry spoke aloud suddenly; it stunned me causing me to jump a little.

"I'm fine," I answered him; refusing to admit that something was wrong.

"Don't lie to me, Devon." The coldness in Harry's voice was something new to me. I had never heard such darkness in his voice; not even when he had first confronted Michael in the school parking lot. I was able to see the darkness then; now I could hear it.

"Harry . . ." I said, I could hear the warning tone in my voice. I turned to face him, favoring my hurt shoulder. I couldn't see the darkness I had before; but the strain on Harry's face told me he was straining to keep it hidden and he wouldn't last much longer.

"What's hurt?" He turned and looked at me, and what I saw shocked me to the core.

I was used to seeing Harry's eyes turn black when he was angry, but nothing could have prepared me for what I was looking at now.

His eyes were pure gold; it was radiant. It glowed in the darkness of the car. I shrank back from him a little bit involuntarily. He frowned as I did so.

"What's wrong?" He asked me, the confusion in his voice was evident.

"Your-your eyes Harry their gold." I stuttered. He smirked a little bit as he turned and looked at me.

"Well, I never expected someone to tell me they were that color." He chuckled a little bit and I sat there, stunned. I was just about to ask him what on earth he had meant by that, but the pain in my shoulder was beginning to intensify; I wouldn't be able to hide it.

"Harry-" I gasped, grabbing at my shoulder. He slammed on the breaks right in the middle of the intersection. There were no cars behind us but if there had been they would have waited. Harry reached for me with a gentle expression.

"Where?" He asked, cupping my face in his hands.

"Shoulder!" I was barely able to gasp as the tears were obscuring my vision; it was hard to concentrate on his voice.

He bit his lip as he stared at me.

"Devon . . . we had to get your shirt off," Harry muttered. I knew he was right, there was no other way to look at my shoulder, but the pain was unbearable right now. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it was going to feel like lifting my arm.

"I can't-can't-" I stuttered, but Harry grabbed my face again.

"Yes you can. You are so strong and brave, you can do this. Look, you can even bite me if you wish; here's your chance to do it." Despite our surroundings, I felt myself smile a little.

Harry grasped my arm then, pulling it away from my body as he removed the shirt. The pain was unlike any pain I had ever experienced. It was white hot and searing as it rushed through my body; I actually bit down on Harry's shoulder a little bit as I fell into him, though by accident but to this day he says it was on purpose.

"It's dislocated." Harry sounded choked up; but I knew it was from anger, not sadness.

"Oh." I couldn't manage to cry anymore, it could have been worse.

I could have been dead.

Like Mara.

And with that thought, I finally found the strength to cry.

***

Ah, here we go. So, I know I promised a couple people a nice love scene between Harry and Devon, and I originally intended to put it there; but with Devon watching Mara die I figured it would be a little insensitive to put a sex scene in this chapter; it's kind of disrespectful to Mara I think for Harry and Devon to have sex the night she died. But they will eventually, I promise. I just didn't
want to do that to Mara. It might take a few chapters, because Michael is back and Zophiel has arrived, but IT WILL HAPPEN I SWEAR. She just has to grieve Mara and then move on. That is all.
Fifty votes for next chapter would be nice. (: Comment if you please, but there is no certain requirement for that one.
Oh, and I know I promised this chapter would be better, and then I killed a girl; but it is kind of better, I mean Devon and Harry are together again. So . . . win lose. Buuuuut it'll only get better from here! :D