And Bury Whats Left

I hadn't stopped practicing. I've might as well of read half of the library from downstairs. I barely left my house. I've been working day and night. I've barely slept, I barely ate. I shut the world out. I've heard their knocks on my floor boards. I heard Terzo's soft accent asking me if I was alright. I heard Aether's panicked voice call out to me, asking if I was okay. Asking if I was alright. I never answered. I was supposed to go to tea two weeks ago. I didn't. I couldn't, I didn't have time. I barely had time anymore for anything. I had failed everyone in my life.

I hate the prince. How could he do this to me? How could he make me care? But I used to care...

  Why did I stop?

   What made me stop?

   These thoughts swarmed my brain. I couldn't silence them as they shouted. I put my hands on my ears like that would do anything. Like it would help. I wanted to scream but it was no use, it was all in my head.

I slammed my head into my shelves causing the glass to rattle. The clinking rattled my brain. Thankfully nothing fell. I don't know what I'd do if they did.

I grabbed a few ingredients to prefect a potion I was working on. Supposedly it can make me feel better. I hope it works. I found the recipe when I was looking for more advanced potion recipes. I figured that if I jump straight into something difficult and perfected that, everything else would be easier. So far it has been working.

  I flicked my hand over the cauldron to mix it. I watched as the clear mixture bubbled and turned gray. A gross thick light gray.

  This looks disgusting. I made a weird noise from the base of my throat. Like a strange gurgling sound.

I have to drink this? I mean I want to feel better.

  Then I heard banging coming from below me. I jumped and moved away.

"(Y/n)! Please, open the door."

Aether.

I didn't respond. I stayed completely silent, I didn't move or breathe.

"(Y/n), please just give a sign that you're alive!" He banged on the floor boards.

I stayed still.

It's better if he thinks I'm dead.

"(Y/n) please! We care about you! We just want you to be okay!"

Nothing.

There was then a quiet muffled voice. I couldn't really recognize it but I assumed it was Terzo because I couldn't think of who else it would be.

"I'm trying to talk to her now!" Aether yelled down the ladder.

Pause.

"No, she's not answering! I'm thinking of breaking it open!"

Shit.

I slowly began to move out of the room. The floor boards creaking as I moved. I winced every time they made a noise.

"I hear movement!"

Why do they still care? Leave me alone!

I stopped moving. I don't know who I was trying to convince. Aether obviously knew I was here. There was loud pounding on the floor boards. Dust and dirt came floating into the air.

Stop trying! My breath was shaking. My vision clouded as I backed into a shelf. A glass bottle fell to the floor with a crash. I blinked and for a few minutes I saw clearly before it blurred again.