1. Hippies and Vampires

Começar do início

"I didn't realize you guys had so much stuff! I would've come downstairs to help carry. The stupid dean won't put in elevators because it apparently 'takes away from the classic beauty' of this place," Marlee rambles, flopping onto her bed. I'd heard about the dreaded Dean Winthrop. Everyone said he had some weird fascination with keeping this school's image pristine and perfect. That explains the weird—and totally outdated—rules on the Angel Hills website.

"It's alright, really," Mom answers, running a hand through her dark hair as we unbox my things. I notice a few more worry lines by her eyes, along with the gray hairs littering her roots. These past few years have really taken a toll on her. I offered to stay home, but she wouldn't let me give up my life because of her or my stupid dad.

"Once you get settled, I can take you around campus and show you everything that the beautiful town of Angel Hills has to offer," Marlee rambles, wringing her hands slightly. "I'll be your tour guide for the day—or night—since, technically, it's already getting dark. We can even pick up dinner or something!"

As much as I admire her kindness and being so welcoming, I can already tell that she's a bit too much for me. I just got here, and I'd like to calm down and properly say goodbye to my mother before we galavant around town. "Sure, just give me an hour or so." I shoot her a small smile, so she doesn't hate me for being rude.

"Alright," she replies, flipping through a magazine and humming to herself.

After filling up the closet and small dresser with my clothes, making the bed, and putting my toiletries in the bathroom we share with the dorm beside us, I finally hug my mom goodbye. "Call me every night," I tell her in a hushed tone.

She chuckles, smoothing down my hair. "You sound like the parent here."

I roll my eyes. "Mom."

"Okay, I promise I'll call often. You don't need to worry about me," she assures me, grabbing her purse. Oh, but I do.

"I love you."

"I love you more, sweetheart. Have fun, make friends, and make sure to study!" she calls over her shoulder, shutting the door and leaving me at college.

"Love you most," I mumble with a sigh, sitting on the edge of my bed, admiring my new residence. My roommate went out a while ago to some "peace circle" they were having on the lawn, so I've got the place to myself for a bit.

I play on my phone for a while, putting my ex-boyfriend's name in a bunch of different search engines. I've always been paranoid, but now that I'm at college, I feel as though I'm all on my own, unknowing of his whereabouts. And as much as I hate to admit it, that scares me.

It's like the internet is wiped clean of his identity, and I decide to take that as a good sign. Maybe he finally turned up dead somewhere. Or maybe he just hasn't done anything terrible enough to be in the news. Either way, I'm okay with it.

After I'm satisfied with my stalking, I stare at the ceiling, trying to distract myself from Mom going back home for what seems like hours before my mind gives up and I need air. Grabbing my phone and dorm key, I head downstairs to the lobby of the residence hall, only to find it empty. I guess college kids had much better things to be doing on a Friday night than playing board games and having pillow fights. Hell, even Marlee the Hippie has plans.

I've never been the type to go out much, even when I was home and things were good. My Friday nights consisted of reading alone in my room or taking midnight walks in the rain. It helped me calm my mind, especially when my father would yell. I'd stick in my earbuds and walk out the door, drowning out the sound of my family falling apart.