Chapter Eighteen: Magic

TW: dr*gs, hallucinations

"Aiura... You're infected." Saiki spoke, eyes widened at the large bite mark that covered the lower half of the girl's right leg. The bite was freshly red from the creature's teeth sinking in– the surrounding area turning black and blue and the rest of the skin around it losing its color.

With a small grunt of pain, Aiura took her jacket off, ripping off the sleeve with her teeth and then wrapping it around the wound. "It's fine." She murmured, peeling herself off the ground and stretching out her arms.

"But it's not fine." Saiki knew how detrimental this was for her. With no cure found for the Flare, with due time, Aiura will die. There was no doubt about that. And worst of all, he'll be the one to blame. Not only by himself, but by others around him. Infection is the worst possible outcome, and now there is nothing either of them could do about it. "Aiura–"

"I said it's fine." She said, choosing to ignore the searing pain when she walked. "We have to focus on catching up with the others."

"..." He didn't respond, not wanting to argue with her and make anything worse, however, he knew that the inevitable would catch up to them eventually. "Let's go."

They walked further into the city and Saiki was shocked to see just how many more people were out there. Men, women, children, out on the streets in tents and camps– definitely not safe considering what comes out at night. The unpaved streets were filled with people sitting around fires, trying to sell off their goods for food, trying to make the best of their situation. It almost sickeningly reminded him of the glade, though at least these people had a means to leave if they wanted to. "...?!" He made an abrupt stop when two children ran past him, almost bumping into him. His eyes followed them sadly. Two brothers, the older one taking the younger one by the arm and leading him to their small tent. Where were their parents? Was it just the two of them? And if so, why hasn't anyone helped them?

"It should be down here. Let's hurry."

"What exactly are we looking for?"

The girl stopped and pointed to a tall building with blaring music barely muffled, and bright colorful strobe lights. Lots of people loitered outside, wearing party outfits, holding bottles of alcohol. The large group of people seemed to be part of what looked like a club of some kind. Saiki cringed. 'Who knew places like this even existed in the apocalypse...' As much as he did not want to enter this place, he trusted Aiura to lead him through it.

As they were about to walk through the front door, trying to get past the mound of people in front of them, mindlessly bumping into the two, they were stopped. "Care to see a magic trick, you two?" A man spoke. He had a tattered purple suit, top hat, and wild green hair. His look resembled that of a magician. When Saiki made eye contact with him, his eyes seemed to widen slightly and his unnerving grin seemed to grow, making Saiki shift uncomfortably where he stood. "Or do you care to join the party?"

"We're looking for Kouta Nakanishi." Aiura said. "We're with Matsusaki, his old partner."

He lifted a brow. "Is that so?" The man chuckled, amused. "I'm Uryoku Chouno." He bowed. "The man you're looking for is right inside." Just as the two were about to enter, he put an arm out in front of them. "You can only enter on one condition."

Saiki sighed. 'What is it...?'

He took out two small bottles. "Drink this." He handed them to the two.

"... What is this stuff?"

The man chuckled once more. "Just a little magic."

'Hell no.' He was about to chuck the bottle across the street when he turned to see Aiura downing the whole thing. "Aiura?!"