Chapter 7

Cry's P.O.V

I stood, grinning to myself as I watched Pewds stumble into the room. It was hard to miss his deep blush. The deep blush which I had caused...I felt so proud.

“The competition begins in five minutes to I’ll be quick,” Paul began as we gathered around. This room was completely empty with large white tiles covering the walls, floor and ceiling. They must be what they project the simulation on. “The aim of this first simulation is to find the Glass House. The first team to find it wins,” he told us then headed for the door.

“Wait...” Ken called after him. He turned and looked at us all. “What are the rules?” he asked.

“That’s simple. No cheating,” he replied then left the room. We all glanced at each other, suddenly nervous. My eyes fell on Pewds who was shifting from side to side, his cheeks still pink as he kept glancing over to me, unaware that I could see him.

“What the hell was that about?” Red asked us all and pointing in the direction Paul left.

“He didn’t even tell us what the simulation was.” Scott’s voice seemed rushed and panicked. Suddenly all the lights went out, bathing us in total darkness. I flinched sharply, my eyes darting around the room but I saw nothing. The room around me erupted into a mess of questions and frantic voices as everyone began to worry. Someone walked straight into me but then passed, searching for a wall to grab. I heard Red mumble an apology somewhere in the room.  

“The doors locked!” I heard Russ yelled.

Where was Pewds? I couldn’t hear him anywhere. Fear began to rise inside of me. I knew there was something wrong with this place! I knew it! Why did no one...

My thoughts were cut short as the room was cast in a dim light. Numbers appeared on the back wall, showing a timer counting down from 10 seconds. Silence fell and sliced through our chaos as we all stared at the screen.

“Cry?” I heard the comforting Swedish accent of the guy I’d been worrying about a moment ago. When I looked down, Pewds was standing beside me, his eyes wide with either fear or excitement... maybe it was both. I let out the breath I’d been holding in. I was about to say something when a loud buzzer interrupted me, filling the room with a horrible high-pitched ringing.

“Contestants,” a fuzzy voice called through a speaker. We all looked up, searching for the source of the voice but found nothing in the dull room. “Get ready. It’s time.”

The buzzer continued to sound but the speaker cut off. When I turned to the timer I saw it flashing with the number 1 then it suddenly turned to 0 and we were all drowned in darkness again. But this time it was only for a moment because in the space of a blink I found myself somewhere totally different.

“Are we... in the desert?” Scott gasped. 

“Holy shit,” Russ said in disbelief as he looked around him. We were surrounded by endless mounds of sand. It stretched as far as the eye could see, joining with the horizon where the blazing sun stood high in the sky. It was boiling here, the heat was intense and I was already beginning to sweat.

“How are we supposed to find a Glass House in this?” Ken asked, stretching his arms out towards the miles of sand. Red began raking her hands through her hair, searching in all directions for something. I spun around too. Maybe if we would see something in the distance it would tell us which was to go.

“There’s nothing,” Red called to us all.

“Guy!” Pewds yelled. We all turned around to see him standing before us, his hands on his hips as he shook his head. “We all need to calm down. We can do this. I know we can,” he said encouragingly. The way his eyes shone made it impossible for me not to believe him.