Chapter thirteen

It was the last time Abigail would have ever competed for her high school before going off to college, and it was the most important meet yet: the State Championship.

She quickly checked to see if she had everything, then left her house on the school bus, with the rest of her team. She had a big responsibility on her shoulders, being the favorite to win and wanting to bring back the title in her high school after countless years of not winning it.

"Break a leg," had said Stephen, hinting at a smile, before she could get out of her house.

"Are you sure you don't want us to come with you?" had then asked Gloria, stroking her daughter's hair.

"I'm sure. I'll see you when I come back."

The only person allowed to see Abigail during her meets was Charlie, who was already waiting for her on the bus with her bag in hand, scrolling through her phone.

"Do you have everything?" she asked, scooting over to make space for her best friend.

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Do you love her?"

Rolling her eyes, Abby turned to her friend in clear disappointment for her foolish attempt to know why her and Ms. Bennett had stopped speaking a month before.

"Charles..."

"Please, I won't tell anyone," begged the girl, holding her hands together.

"Fine."

The whole story was a lot quicker and painless than Abigail would have thought, but it helped her realize how badly she had treated Ms. Bennett. She hadn't even let her tell her side of the story, what if it could change her entire perspective?

"Wait, hold on, she's the mistress that slept with your father?"

"Let's not call her that, please..." sighed Abigail, gently resting her head on the headrest. "I think I might have been harsh in judging her..."

"Then talk to her. Communication is always the best way to resolve conflicts," Charlie shrugged her shoulders. "Plus, I bet she misses you very much."

A staggering time of 4:56:13 and the winner of the 400 meters freestyle was Abigail. She had swum like she had never before, focusing well on her coordination and just on doing her best. She received all the attention from the sponsors, the interviewers, the college coaches, but despite all of it the only desire in her head was to go back home.

"Are you ready to go?" Charlie put her arm around her best friend's shoulder, with a huge smile to show how incredibly proud she was of her friend's accomplishment.

Charlie was almost like a sister to Abby, and even if they didn't see each other all day every day, they could still count on the other during the big moments.

"I can't wait to go back home," sighed Abby, exhausted but very pleased.

"Tomorrow there will be a celebration, you know that, right?"

"I know, but right now I just wanna sit on my bed and take a very long nap," chuckled Abby.

Banners were hung everywhere in the school: the hallways, the lunch hall, even the bathrooms were filled with posters to celebrate Abigail and her record. In spite of all the attention being turned to her, she was just curious to see Ms. Bennett again, and let her explain her side of the story; they hadn't talked in almost a month, and with finals coming up she had to make sure to have all the details before beginning her crazy studying.