Chapter 1 - Echoes of Home

As I carefully stacked the remnants of my time at the reception desk, each item felt like a piece of a puzzle I was reluctantly dismantling. The muted hum of the office around me echoed the monotony of my days as a full-time receptionist, the daily grind seemingly etched into every keystroke and phone call. Minimum wage, clocking in and out, a symphony of routine that had become the backdrop to my post high-school life in the city. The papers, the pens, the framed photo of my parents cheering me on - they all carried the weight of a journey I embarked on wide-eyed enthusiasm. A journey to prove something to myself, to be independent. 

But today, as I packed up, a quiet longing whispered for the longing of home, for the reassurance in my parents' motivating words that once buoyed my spirits. The soft melody of my phone's ringtone cut through the office hum, and I quickly grabbed it from my desk. Seeing 'Dad' flashing on the screen brough a sense of warmth, a momentary escape from the routine. I answered, my voice trying to mask the exhaustion of the day. "Hey, Dad," I greeted, forcing a cheerfulness I didn't quite feel.

"How's my girl doing?" his voice, a comforting balm, reached through the phone. "Fine, just another day at the grind," I replied, my eyes wandering around the office as I started the process of clocking out. The familiar faces seemed to blur as my mind lingered on unspoken troubles. "Remember, you're capable of more than you think, Piper. We're proud of you," he reassured, the sincerity in his words easing the weight on my shoulders. 

I waved to my co-workers, exchanging brief goodbyes as I walked towards the exit, the conversation with my dad continuing. 

"I love you, Dad," I said, my voice cracking with a vulnerability I hadn't intended to reveal. "I love you too, sweetheart. Remember, you're never alone," he whispered. As the city lights began to flicker outside, I walked into the crisp evening air, phoned pressed to my ear. "I know, Dad. And I promise, I'll call if I need anything," I reassured him, the weight of my loneliness dissipating with his words. "I miss you guys," I admitted, the confession hanging in the air between us. "We miss you too, Piper," my dad replied, his voice tinged with an understanding that transcended the miles between us.  "How is Phoebs?" I asked, diverting the call. 

"How about you ask your sister yourself? She's right here." A shiver of anticipation ran through me as the call transferred, and a sweet, familiar voice replaced my dad's. "Hey Pips!" A smiled tugged at my lips, a mixture of love and nostalgia. "Hey, kiddo. How's everything back home?" 

'We're hanging in there," my sister replied with a hint of mischief. "Mom's making dinner- Lasagne. You're missing out."

As the conversation continued, I glanced at my Uber app, watching as the car icon approached my location.  The Uber pulled up, and with a final exchange of goodbyes, I stepped into the car, the door closing behind me. The ride home was a quiet journey through the city's labyrinth of lights, the residue of my family's voices lingering in my mind, offering solace.

As I arrived home, the familiar surroundings didn't immediately bring comfort. I craved the laughter of my best friends, the one's who knew the intricacies of my soul. With a sigh, I showered, the water serving as a gentle reprieve, washing away the residue of the day. Sitting on my bed, I scrolled through social media, glimpsing into the lives of those once held close. A pang of longing hit me; I missed the camaraderie, the unspoken bond that transcended distance. There was a good friend in the city, but a hesitancy lingered, a feeling that we hadn't yet reached that level of shared vulnerability. In the quiet of my room, I yearned for the closeness I once had, the kind where tears were shared as effortlessly as laughter. As I sat there, the city outside my window alive with its own stories, the loneliness settled in. 

Determined to cast of the chains of loneliness, I decided there was nothing holding me back from a night out. It was Friday, the promise of the weekend stretching ahead like a canvas waiting to be painted with moments of connection and laughter. With renewed energy, I slipped into my best clothes, each piece a vibrant declaration of the vibrant spirit I aimed to embody. 

In front of the mirror, I painted my face with makeup, each stroke a deliberate act of self-expression. The reflection staring back at me was a bolder version of Piper - ready to embrace the night, to dance away the shadows that clung to the corners of solitude. 

With a sense of anticipation, I made my way to the closest club to me, the pulsating beat of the city guiding my steps. The neon sign reading "Charge Office" beckoned like a beacon in the night, promising a reprieve from the silence that had settled too comfortably withing my walls. 

The vibrant lights of "Charge Office" engulfed me as I walked in, the pulsating music instantly wrapping me in its rhythm. The energy of the crowd, each person lost in their own moment, whispered promises of a night untethered from solitude. Making my way to the bar, I ordered a bold Red Square - a liquid elixir to drown the echoes of the day. As the bartender handed me the drink, the glass cool against my fingertips, I felt a sense of liberation. Downing the first drink, I ordered another, the warmth spreading through me.

As I danced to the rhythmic beats, the club's vibrant energy became my sanctuary, a place where solitude couldn't hold it's grip. 

__________________________________________________

Thank you for joining Piper on the first leg of her journey. I hope you found the character engaging and Piper's story intriguing. If you have any thoughts or constructive criticism, please feel free to share. 

Your feedback is invaluable, and I look forward to continuing the narrative in Chapter 2, which will be posted in the coming week. Stay tuned for twists and turns in Piper's pursuit of truth and connection.

Yours sincerely, 

Collette Tarboton- AKA the writer.