Then I separated us. I wiped my face with my hand, and I looked back at her. I reached for her hand, and she gave it to me. I walked us to the drive and pulled my keys from my pocket. I opened the passenger side of my Mustang for her, and in what felt like record speed, we were down the driveway, flying through the streets. I switched gears to go faster, and she didn't seem to mind. She just rode beside me, letting me get it all out as we tore down the open road.

I had no way of knowing what was next with my dad. It was inconceivable to think about anything with me that didn't involve him. There was already talk of us having to move. My grandfather was coming down to lay down the law, not knowing the full extent of what was happening. I actually felt terrible for the ruthless man to that end. All I knew was that I couldn't think about any of that anymore tonight.

I just wanted to be out on the road. With her.

I could smell her in my car the way I did the first time she rode with me, and it got to me just as it had before, and just as it did anytime I stood too close to her. She showed up for me tonight like she was mine. She couldn't have known how much that would mean to me. It was brave. This wasn't the first time she had impressed me with her bravery.

I looked down at the speedometer for the first time since we hit the road and allowed my car to do what it was made to do. I was going too fast. I slowed into the next deep curve on the two-lane highway we flew down, but I knew it may have been too fast for her. I looked over at July to see if she was okay. She looked spectacular just sitting in my passenger seat. She was so beautiful I didn't cut my eyes from her and back to the road as quick as I should have.

I felt her hand reach out and squeeze my bicep tightly. "ADRIAN!" She screamed, looking toward the front of the car.

I turned and immediately hit the brakes. We stopped abruptly, my arm across her body, protecting her from the dash. Just as soon as we stopped, a deer walked out from the side of the road, almost slowly, as if time were suspended. Another one followed as the first one went through the bright beam of my headlights.

The first one turned and looked back at me, its eyes shimmering in the car lights the way it had the first time and in my dreams after. There were two this time, watching us as we watched them pass. Just like the one I'd seen that time before, maybe it was even the same doe, these two didn't know to be afraid of us. It was majestic.

At that moment, I didn't care what was happening to me or us, and I didn't care if she wanted that damn lifeguard instead of me... I pulled her face to mine, and my lips were on hers. Her mouth opened for mine immediately, and she kissed me passionately back. I slid my car into park as I pushed my tongue through her lips to find hers. It was as if we were racing towards each other, and I wanted to consume her.

Her lips were soft even though she was kissing me back harder than she ever had before. She smelled and tasted delicious, and I wasn't going to be able to get over what that did to me. I craved it. Ignoring that I was parked in the middle of the road, we must have bypassed heavy breathing and gone straight to panting. I just know we hadn't stopped kissing, and after I leaned in, pulling her as close to me as the car would allow, I didn't want to. She ran her fingers through my hair while our lips stayed connected, and all I wanted was to feel the sensation of her touch all over.

Something ignited when we came together and were in each other's arms like this... undeniably, it was an experience like none I'd ever known. There was so much between us that hadn't been said. So much we had neglected, but I couldn't deny the immediacy I felt when she was right next to me, or how she responded to my touch. I had to believe we had made some sort of an investment in each other both physically and emotionally. I knew I had.