Twenty-seven

My eyes had been scanning the second page of this book for the past twenty minutes. Seemingly trailing off every second.

  I couldn't stop thinking about what happened in the bathroom that night. I couldn't stop thinking about her and what she did to me. It was like I was under a spell.

  I cleared my throat and shook my head before going back to the book again. I should not think about that now, I should be relaxing. Yes, relaxing.

  My phone dinged and I threw the book halfway across my room. Fuck that book.

  The time read 7:35pm and I was planning on spending the rest of my weekend idle. I clicked on the text and it showed I got a text from the person who's been occupying my thoughts since I woke up.

  Margaux: What're you doing right this moment?

  I twisted my lips, contemplating on whether I should tell her the truth or lie. I thought of lying because what if she's suddenly come to her senses and want to threaten me to keep my mouth shut.

  Margaux: A valid reason better be given if you leave me on read again for more than a minute Remington.

  Yeah I better stick with the truth.

  Me: I was reading a book but I couldn't pay attention for some reason :)

  Margaux: Oh? And what were you possibly thinking about?

  Me: Nothing special.

  Margaux: Remington.

  Me: What?

  Margaux: Tell me the fucking truth.

  Me: I can't.

  I bit on my nails as I watched the typing bubble appear before it disappeared. My head titled as it never reappeared. What was she planning?

  My heart almost leaped out of my chest as my phone rang and I saw it was Margaux trying to FaceTime me. Oh dang.

  I let it ring before it disconnected, hoping she'd take the hint and not call again but I was dead wrong. Her crazy ass called again so I just picked up before she came here and choke the life out of me. I knew she could if she wanted—I'd let her.

  "Remington." Were the first words she uttered once she saw me appear after picking up the call.

  "Hi.." I pursed my lips and avoided her gaze.

  "Why didn't you answer on the first ring?" Her voice held authority and visibly shrunk further into my bed.

  "Uh I was, you see uh..I don't know." I sighed in defeat by the way she was staring at me—daring me to lie.

  "I see. Are you at home?"

  "Yes. I'm having an idle weekend. Are you at home too?" I used my eyes to take in the background of where she was.

  "Mhm. I went to take a snack from the kitchen, I am also having an idle weekend or in other words—a lazy day." She shrugged her shoulders before I saw her shove some chips to her chest before picking the phone up from where she dropped it earlier.

  "That's great. I already ate breakfast not long ago. So why'd you ask what I was doing?" I was genuinely curious now.

  She didn't answer me but instead faced away from the camera and climbed what I was assuming as the stairs before walking through her doors and locking it behind her. It was still a bit silent from her side of the line aside the shuffling and chip wrappers scrunching up.