iii. the walterhill effect

( welcome to colorado )

"hey!" kiley waved at grace and skylar. "you must be jackie. i'm kiley."

"nice to meet you." jackie smiled.

"you just moved in with the walters, right?" kiley asked.

jackie nodded, "wait, wait wait."

"what?" kiley questioned, "alex told me."

"jackie, you are like the luckiest girl in school!" grace began bouncing up and down with joy. skylar and kiley eyed the brunette. "what? i mean, think about it. jackie's landed in boy heaven."

"there's danny with the actory-brooding thing going on. there's, uh, isaac, the cool dude. alex, the bookish shy guy. nathan, the musician. lee, the edgy skater. and then, of course, there's cole." grace swooned when thinking about the blond. "plus she's basically going to be best friends with rio since she practically lives at the walters."

"okay, grace you really need to stop making ri out to being some big movie star."

"but she is!"

"i don't get it. i understand why people like rio but, what makes cole so special?" jackie interjected.

"listen, you can't define it okay? it's just the walterhill effect."

"really? the 'walterhill effect'?"

"yes, the cole walter and rio summerhill effect. the walterhill effect. it's why all the senior boys are like 'what's up bro' when they see cole and why they all drool over rio when she walks down the hall."

"ew grace! that's my sister."

"it's true, sky. you have to stop denying that your sister is the most popular girl in school and she's friends with the most popular guy."

"who's friends with the most popular guy?" rio smiled, stopping beside jackie in the hallway. grace's jaw dropped as she struggled to answer. "okay... how was your first day, jackie?"

"fine. thank you again for lunch."

"of course, it's the least cole and i could do. speaking off... didn't you come with him?"

jackie's eyes widened, she pulled out her phone letting out a small shriek when she saw the time. "i gotta go."

jackie sped off towards the parking lot, rio glanced between the three others around her for a second before sprinting off behind jackie. the other three followed suit.

"hey wait!" jackie yelled, waving her arms frantically but the walter car was gone.

"i'm sure they just forgot. they always get out real quick after classes end." kiley tried to comfort the her.

rio huffed, shaking her head at the fact that cole had just left with jackie, "hey jackie, i can give you a ride if you want."

"thank you." rio winked before turning towards her car. "grace, kiley, you guys coming?" grace violently nodded her head while kiley politely declined because she had to go to work.

skylar and grace got into the backseats, letting jackie take the passenger next to rio. "oh no." skylar echoed from the back.

"what?" grace asked. he pointed out the window behind her. grace's face fell. "hey rio, could you start driving, like now."

rio's brows furrowed but a second later she understood why, "hey, jackie right." erin's voice rung through the car's interior as she locked her arms on the open passenger window.