The Garden of the Hesperids

Meeting the Hesperid,

Rhea whispers to Zoe's ear,

Artemis holds the sky.

***

"We will never make it," Zoe said. "We are moving too slowly. But we cannot leave the Ophiotaurus."

"Mooo," Bessie said. He swam next to Rhea as they jogged along the waterfront.

They'd left the shopping centre pier far behind. They were heading toward the Golden Gate Bridge, but it was a lot farther than they'd realized. The sun was already dipping in the west.

"Not to mention tomorrow is the winter solstice. If we miss the sunset tonight, we will have to wait until tomorrow evening. And by then, the Olympian Council will be over." Rhea said. "And it will end up badly."

"We need a car," Thalia said.

"And Bessie," Rhea asked.

Grover stopped in his tracks. "I've got an idea! The Ophiotaurus can appear in different bodies of water, right?"

"Yes. He was in Long Island Sound. Then he just popped into the water at Hoover Dam. And now he's here." Rhea said. "But he was following me if I'm not there, would he know where he's going?"

"Moo," Bessie said forlornly.

"I... I can show him," Grover said. "I'll go with him."

"No offence Grover, but you are not a fan of water," Rhea said.

"I'm the only one who can talk to him," Grover said with determination. "It makes sense."

He bent down and said something in Bessie's ear. Bessie shivered, then made a contented, lowing sound.

"The blessing of the Wild," Grover said. "That should help with safe passage. Rhea, pray to your dad, too. See if he will grant us safe passage through the seas."

Rhea sighed. "Do I have to?"

Thalia smirked. "Now don't be a hypocrite."

Rhea deadpanned at her. "Oh haha!" She sighed. "Lord Poseidon ... I can't believe I'm doing this ... Help us. Get the Ophiotaurus and Grover safely to camp. Protect them at sea."

"A prayer like that needs a sacrifice," Thalia said. "Something big."

"I know I'm giving him this," Rhea said while taking off her coat.

"Rhea," Grover said. "Are you sure? That lion skin... that's really helpful. Hercules used it!"

"Exactly! I am not Hercules, I don't need this, I don't need to copy someone else to be better." Rhea said as she threw the coat into the bay. It turned back into a golden lion skin, flashing in the light.

Then, as it began to sink beneath the waves, it seemed to dissolve into sunlight on the water. The sea breeze picked up.

Grover took a deep breath. "Well, no time to lose."

He jumped in the water and immediately began to sink. Bessie glided next to him and let Grover take hold of his neck.

"Be careful," Rhea told them.

"We will," Grover said. "Okay, um... Bessie? We're going to Long Island. It's east. Over that way."

"Moooo?" Bessie said.