a perfect day

Jason's pov

"You wouldn't have really shot my dad, would you?" She asks as we're driving back to Nashville. "Uh, well. I wouldn't call him your dad since he threw ya out of the house. Dads are supposed to protect their kids, not toss them out on the streets like garbage." I say, avoiding her question. "Well if we didn't we never would've met, so I think I'd thank him for that." She says. "But seriously if he did grab me again, would you have really shot him?" I ask. I scratch my head, trying to think. "I'm not sure. I didn't know the guy or what he's capable of and I didn't want him hurting you." I say. She smiles and cuddles up next to me. "I'm glad you're protective of me but please don't pull a gun on him again." She says. "Okay, dear for you, I won't." I say, putting one arm around her. I cross state line and smile when I see the familiarities of Nashville. I may not have been born here but this is my home. My bumper sticker even says, 'Don't mess with a Georgia born Nashville raised redneck.' I may have moved here when I was in my early twenties so technically I'm not Nashville raised but I'm just going to say screw it. She's asleep on my shoulder as I pull into the drive. I wake her up and we go inside. "When do you tour again?" She asks, laying on the couch. "Uh, not for another month, I think." I say, unsure. I sit beside her on the couch, falling asleep in seconds. I wake up not too long later with my girl sitting beside me just staring at me. "Ya like what ya see?" I ask. She nods. "Every last bit." She whispers. "Are ya gonna just stare at me or what?" I ask. "I don't know. the view's pretty fucking gorgeous from here." She flirts. I click the light off and pull her onto my lap as we kiss. I've never been more in love with a woman. Or more turned on. I try to force that thought from my head as I lay her down and kiss her. "Everything about you is downright sexy." I say. "I sure hope so." She replies.

*the next day*

I can hear a rooster crowing down the road. I felt my eyes open up real slow and I looked around, making sure I hadn't checked out. But there was an angel lying next to me and I figured heaven's where I must be and it was her. She sleeps peacefully and I just watch her. Last night was kinda like one big party crash. I'm still tired but I force myself to get up and I start on breakfast. I'm not the best cook though. I wish she was awake. She'd cook it better. I remember a lyric from a Merle Haggard song. 'Back before microwave ovens. When a girl could still cook and still would.' "The best of the free world is yet to come and the good times ain't over for good." I whisper sing. I start the song at the middle, "I wish coke was still cola and a joint was a bad place to be. Back before Nixon lied to us all on TV. Back before microwave ovens when a girl could still cook and still would. Are the best of the free life behind us now? And are the good times really over for good? We're rollin' downhill like a snowball headed for hell. With no chance for the flag or to ring the ol liberty bell. I wish a Ford and a Chevy would still last 10 years like it should." I sing then stop when I hear yawning. My baby's up. She comes into the kitchen. "Hey, darlin' I hope you know how to cook cause I plum stink at it." I say. She laughs. "Move over chef, I've watched cutthroat kitchen enough times to know a thing or two." She says, pulling out milk and flour. "I know ya like waffles." She says. I nod. "Love 'em. Favorite food on the planet. But they don't compare to the beauty makin' 'em." I reply. She smiles as she mixes the mix. "Yeah, waffles will have to wait in line." She says, turning around and kissing me. That turns into a deep make out session and we never even finish making breakfast. By the time I glance at the clock, it's already noon. "Screw breakfast. I've got dessert." She whispers. "You're really good at getting under my skin." I flirt. I turn the oven off, leaving everything out. I dip her and kiss her softly. I take a step back and she slips on a waffle mix covered spoon. "Shiza!" She yells, confusing me. I help her up. "You okay, darlin'?" I ask. She nods and rubs her sore butt. "What's shiza mean?" I ask. "Oh excuse the German. It means shit in German. I say that when I'm caught off guard." She says, her cheeks turning red. "Ok well don't go talking' in code by speakin' in German. This dumb ol redneck ain't gonna understand a word of it." I say. She laughs. "Dear, you aren't dumb and shiza is the only German word I know." She says. I smile and we sit on the couch. "You aren't hungry?" She asks. "Nah. Never really was." I reply, looking dreamily into her beautiful brown eyes. She stares right back at me. It almost feels like she's staring into the pit of my soul. My heart is pounding nearly out of my chest. I'm surprised she can't hear it. I take her hand in mine and pull her to my chest in a hug. "Jason, I feel so safe and so warm in your arms. I never want you to let go of me." She whispers softly. "You're my whole world." I whisper back, "if I was forced with the choice to give up you or singing, I'd be done singing." She looks up at me. "For serious?!" She cries. "Of course baby, you're my perfect girl." I whisper, kissing her, "there's noone else I'd rather be with than you." "Ditto." She whispers against my lips as we kiss. Ditto? Is that more German? "what's ditto mean?" I ask. She laughs and kisses me again. "It means the same." She says. "I'm so turned on when ya speak different languages!" I say. She laughs again. "Baby, that was English!" She gasps. "I've never heard it before." I say. She shrugs. "Who cares? I don't know what half of the English language means and I don't give a hoot!" She says, standing up and swinging her hips. She's looking so fine. She grabs my hand and pulls me off the couch. "Pop in some music. I wanna dance." She says. "Babe, ya know I can't dance to save my life." I say, smiling. "Well, what about to save mine?" She flirts. "Now that's a total different story." I say, putting in Luke's new CD and single, kick the dust up. She grabs a couple beers. I grab her hands. "Let's dance, your life depends on it." I joke. "I made that up." She says, putting her hands against my chest as she kisses me. The lyrics come through the speaker. "Fill your cup up, kick the dust up!" I hear the familiar voice of my damn good friend. I twirl her around and catch her in my arms inches before her head hits the ground. I kiss her heavily and lay her down the last inch or two. I turn Luke's music off because that'd be kinda weird, hearing my best friend's voice in the background while I make love to my beautiful wonderful perfect wife.