Chapter 19

Thomas returns home from work, a fluster of emotions hidden in his eyes. "How was work?" I ask, walking up to him. I take off his blazer.

He runs his hand through his dirty blonde hair, and sighs. "Fine, I suppose. I'm gonna go out on the back porch, get some fresh air."

"Okay," I say, and he whisks right past me and out the back door.

I help Rachel get the house tidy, and soon, Mike comes home. Rachel kisses him gently, and he pulls her into a hug. Looks like ever since my kidnapping, everyone has been a little more grateful for their loved ones.

Speaking of loved ones, I remember that Thomas is still outside. I walk over to the sliding glass window, and peep my head out. What I see shocks me.

Thomas is leaning over the porch railing, a cigarette in his hand. He looks over, and he eyes widen.

"Thomas," I say, and breathe out. "You're smoking again?!"

He quickly puts the cigarette out, and throws it over the backyard fence into the neighbors yard. "I'm sorry. It was a hard day at work."

"You promised you wouldn't start smoking again," I say, tears beginning to well up in my eyes. "How long have you been doing this? Smoking behind my back?"

"Just a few days ago," Thomas admits, his voice lowering significantly.

I couldn't understand. Thomas promised he wouldn't start up his smoking habit again, for the sake of our new home.

"Why do you wanna kill yourself?" I ask, my voice trembling.

"Brooke-"

"I don't want you to die!" I cry hysterically. "I want us to live a long, healthy, happy life. Don't you understand that, Thomas?"

"I can't bloody help it!" Thomas exclaims. "I want to quit, I do, but it's so hard to stop! After you were kidnapped by Haley, I felt stressed and smoking was my way to relieve it!" His eyes begin to water.

"You quit once for a while, now do it again," I cry, and that's when the tears start flowing. I nestle my head into the nape of his neck. He hugs me, and lets out some sobs.

"I promise, cross my heart, I will stop smoking," Thomas says.

"Pinkie promise," I add, taking extra precaution.

"Deal," he says, and we cross our pinkies together.

I turn around, and Rachel and Mike stand speechless.

"Everything is taken care of," I laugh, trying to make light of the situation, my face still wet with tears.

In the morning, I wake up extra early and make breakfast for everyone. Rachel stumbles into the kitchen, and looks surprised. "Uh, thanks," she says, then laughs.

"No problem. It's the least I can do after the little fallout Thomas and I had last night, but all is well."

Mike then walks in, and mumbles happily.

"Take a seat, and relax," I announce, bringing over the plates of eggs, bacon, and toast.

"Rebecca is still sleeping," Rachel yawns.

I nod, and then Thomas walks in. I kiss him good morning, and he takes a seat. I bring over his breakfast and he says thank you.

Everyone starts eating their meal, their forks clanging on the glass plates. I slide into the seat next to Thomas. I fix his bed head and he smiles.

I quickly start to notice that the table seems quieter than normal. No one exchanges any words. Until Thomas speaks up.

"So, Brooke," Thomas begins, attracting the attention of Mike and Rachel, "I was thinking later today we could visit Bella and see if she is holding up alright?"