Page 19

The hall was crammed pack full of people. Chris found himself a table whilst his friends went and bought drinks. He didn't need to wait long, they soon found their way back to him. Maddy suggested they find Chris's mum and dad but Chris said no.

They sat and looked at the party goers, dancing. Sam and Emily themselves had taken to the dance floor.

"So... what is this party even for?" Maddy asked. Chris smiled

"Well it's a family thing, every year around this time my family throw a huge party to bring us all together" Chris said whilst drumming his fingers. Maddy looked around and sipped her diet coke. She got up and went to get another drink as a little boy sat next to Chris. He wrapped his hands around Chris's middle.

"Heya t-rex"

"Chrissy you're here!" The child exclaimed. Chris smiled.

"Jack I couldn't miss seeing you now could I" Jack grinned toothily as Maddy came back. She glanced at Chris who grinned.

" Maddy this is jack, my little brother." Jack hid behind Chris and smiled.

"Heya" he said. Maddy smiled gently.

"Heya I'm Maddy" suddenly Jack jumped out of his seat.

"Oh my God you're the girl mummy goes on about" Maddy and Chris blushed.

"What you on about kiddo?" Chris asked.

"Mummy says you saved Maddy and that you and Maddy will end up married and-" Chris hung his head and looked at Maddy apologetically. Maddy laughed and studied Jack as he finished rambling. He had a striking resemblance to Chris he had the same piercing green eyes and Brown hair albeit his was long whilst Chris's was short. Jack climbed back onto his brother's lap as Emily came over. She shook jacks hand.

"Heya Jacky"

"Emily" he whispered. Emily and Jack exchanged a few forced sentences whilst Maddy moved closer to Chris.

A man and a women walked over. The man introduced himself as Chris's dad and the women his mum. Both parents were all too aware of the current closeness of their son and his 'friend'. Chris hugged his parents and they sat down at the table. Emily left to find Sam whilst Maddy introduced herself. Mr and Mrs Cottam liked her from the start and the fact that Jack, although shy seemed to like Maddy just improved their opinion.

As the party progressed Maddy and Jack had gotten into a game of hide and seek whilst Sam and Emily began having a contest about who can have the most shots without feeling sick. Chris knew he'd be carrying them back to the hotel later on.

Chris himself stood against a wall and sipped his beer. Hearing his little brothers laugh made him smile. Jack was a continuously hyper boy but playing with Maddy made the ten year old happy. Chris was so lost in thought that he never realised his parents were stood behind him.

"She's a keeper" his dad said, gruffly. Chris jumped.

" She sure is a good friend dad" his dad smirked.

"I think she's a little more than that son" he said and walked off. His mum put a hand on his shoulder.

"How're things? No more panic attacks?" Chris shrugged.

"Sam and Emily took me in for a while. Maddy took me to her dad and the four of them, Dave included made me sane again. The last panic attack I had was about.... a month ago I think" he replied. His mum ran a hand through her short curly hair.

"This Maddy girl.... She's good for you Chris. When you left all you could think about was becoming a doctor and with her you seem a little less.... robotic?" Chris eyed his mother. Her slightly large frame was hidden in the shadow that was currently cast over her. Her face however betrayed her concern and Chris felt like his heart was going to spontaneously burst. In the past few weeks Chris knew his mum was worried not that he could blame her. He hadn't called her as much so she never really knew what had happened after his first few panic attacks.

"She made me realise I gotta help myself before I help others I suppose" his mum nodded and walked off.

Chris dozed off, his thoughts whizzing around, suddenly something snaked around his legs, and he looked down to find Jack.

"Lil bro... what are you doing?" his brother looked up, a look of joy covered his face.

"She's trying to tickle me" he squawked. Chris smiled as Maddy walked towards them. Jack hid under the table and maddy stalked towards them. She smiled slyly at Chris.

"Chris... where's your brother?" Chris attempted to stand his ground but Maddy leaned towards him.

"If you don't tell... Talia will find out" she said, her breath tickling his ear. He shuddered and pointed to the table where Jack was. When she turned around he grabbed her from behind and shouted "Jack, run" he climbed out from under the table and ran. Maddy wiggled out from Chris's grasp and ran after him, Chris following suit. They didn't realise that most people had watched and were smiling. They didn't realise that Emily had nudged Sam and together they smirked.