Growing Up Won't Get Me Down

Breathe.

Every red light was a menace, why can't traffic take the day off?

Breathe.

Colorado was bitter in it's welcome. Cold air contrasted with the heat from the car creating an arid mist about the scenery. It made the whole trip seem so surreal. This fantasy was becoming real as I looked desperately out the window looking for her. Each double take led to disappointment. There were way too many blondes in Denver.

Beep.

The lads texted me good luck. However when the car pulled up in front of her door, my legs couldn't function. She was too close now. The driver asked me if he had gotten it wrong by my lack of movement. I couldn't even reply. I wanted to be able to talk, but she made me tongue tied. Then, I was in front of her door and hitting a buzzer. The thing sounded absolutely atrocious. Yet, it complimented the demented housing well.

"Hello?"

Damn. I couldn't reply, again. My mouth opened, good start. The follow through was a croaking in the back of my throat. Definitely nothing coherent. I ran my hands through my hair to calm my nerves, but the more and more time I wasted the more and more she would most likely hang up.

"Hello?"

Oh God, she's annoyed. Great, not how I wanted to begin my apology. I had to think fast. Don't lie, not a great way to start an apology either. Think, how to go about this.

"It's me."

Oh shit, where did that come from! That is not what I wanted to say at all. How did that just happen? I was gaping at the receiver, praying she should not be appaulled at my horrific way of saying hello. I have just screwed up everything. The five minutes of silence cut through me. Why did I have to such an arse? I stepped back to look up at all the stoops for the possibility she would be trying to investigate if it really was me. Sadly, that Romeo and Juliet scene didn't play out. I turned back to the driver, shrugged, and walked back towards the car. Gutted.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, out of breath.

She ran to meet me. I lost the ability to speak. This motif needs to disappear now. She looked at me expectantly.

"I needed to see you," I replied.

"Well you've seen me." Shit, she's witty. Alright new approach.

"I was wrong, okay?"

"No duh, Sherlock. Did it take you and Watson to figure that one out?"

I stopped talking, and kicked at the pavement.

"I didn't think you could handle very thing that comes with dating me."

"Oh but Hallie Walters could? Your excuses sound a little too planned out, Niall. Come back when you have sorted out yourself, yeah?"

"You're different from Hallie, you know? She didn't take crap form anyone and you took everything so seriously. I couldn't see yourself being tore apart simply because I loved you!"

"Seems like I have that under wraps now, doesn't it? I mean, you told me I wasn't beautiful in your eyes!"

"Then we tried it out, I taught you how to ride a bike, we fell in love. I found out you were beautiful!"

She paused. Then looked at me with sorrowful eyes. "Niall, I found someone who thought I was beautiful fro the moment I met them."

"You know I'm sure how I got here. All the signs led me here. I imagined you would take me back, just like las time. Everything would be better."

"This isn't last time," she spoke clearly.

"This was the lt time I got it wrong, I will..." I planned to ask her to go out with me. To take me back like I imagined. Then, I realized it. She wasn't mine anymore. She has found the perfect man. Then the glint hit my eyes.

"You're engaged?"

She rolled the ring around her fourth finger. Then I knew, whatever chance I wanted, was nonexistent.

"And you're happy?"

She nodded, then walked towards me and hugged me tightly. I felt her happiness. It was infectious, just like she was.

"I loved you."

I looked at her with a small smile.

"I love you, too."

I turned away and walked past the car. The driver called my name but I continued walking, then she called my name with concern and I ran. My legs didn't know where they were going. My knees however screamed this was the stop. Ironically, right in front of a pub. It was practically empty, so I sat directly in the middle and asked the waitress for anything on tap.

"You know, I really loved you," I heard form across the bar. I smiled because I could pick that voice out in any crowd.

"I know."

I turned around on the creaky bar stool and saw a distraught girl who had ran after me in hopes of finding me.

"I put his ring on the porch, and you know why."

Her matter of fact tone took me off guard, but my cheeky grin remained on my face. I did know why. It was the same reason I flew out here and scoured Denver for her.

"I was fine until you showed up, out of the blue, unannounced. Ready to whisk me off," she breathlessly added.

"I didn't know you were so settled. However, I knew I made a mistake."

"Well, if you are just figuring that out..."

"I knew I screwed myself the minute I walked out that door at seven o' clock," I cut in. She stared at me with red puffy eyes. Tears came to her sapphire spheres.

"I called you, and you didn't answer me."

"I died every time."

She stopped and stared long and hard into my eyes. I was pretty afraid to break this intense gaze. It was like she was evaluating me and I scared she wouldn't come up with the right conclusion.

"Why am I doing this to myself again?" she whispered to herself. I heard her though because this bar was barren.

"Beacause you love me. And I'm in love with you. And you know I'm willing to wait until your heart is ready to fall completely in love with me again."

Her knees buckled at my confession. She grabbed hold of a chair leg that was connected to an upside chair on the table. I stalked over to her assessing her eyes to see if any of my movements were frightening her. Then I grabbed her hand and kissed it.

"Hi, I'm Niall. I am oblivious to women, I have a crazy life that can be hard to deal with, and I'm in love with you."

"Hi, I'm Keigan."