"Sir, are you angry?"

"I'm not angry, I'm just thinking about what I did to make you avoid me like this."

Chu Xijin's tone was very calm, without any fluctuations, making it difficult to detect any emotion.

He Nian immediately regretted it. His heartstrings were always touched easily by his husband, and he instinctively wanted to give up resistance. He completely lost control of his rationality and said quickly:

"Actually, I can also make the cake in advance."

"Today or tomorrow?"

"...It can all be done in advance." Xu Shi felt that the lie was too clumsy, and He Nian was eager to make amends, but what he said was full of loopholes.

"Sir, I want to read the book One Hundred Years of Solitude. Could you please pick me up this afternoon?"

Chu Xijin smiled. He understood why He Nian would avoid him, but he didn't expect to figure it out so quickly. He seemed to be able to see all kinds of cute little expressions on He Nian's face through the phone.

"Okay, then it will be at five o'clock this afternoon."

Since he knew he was going to meet in the afternoon, he often got distracted while making New Year's cakes. This cake is a recent new style. He deliberately neutralized the sweetness, and the cream was filled with fresh strawberries.

Strictly speaking, this is the first milk cake he has made for Mr. Chu, so it is very important.

After making the cake to celebrate the New Year, he still couldn't calm down. He ran up to the rooftop, and the wind rustled the leaves.

The strawberries were growing well on the wooden stand. He picked the most beautiful one and packed it up. He noticed last time that there were no green plants on the computer table in Mr. Chu's study, so it was just right next to the computer.

It was approaching five o'clock. He Nian was sitting on a high stool, nervous and looking forward to it. His legs were dangling. A bold idea suddenly popped into his mind.

If he and Mr. Chu are like this, does this count as a date?

The phone on the table lit up, and he received a concise text message.

[Mr. Chu]: Sorry, there is an impromptu meeting.

He took a long breath and his heartbeat gradually slowed down.

He was a little confused about what he was really thinking. He wanted to escape but also longed to meet. He would feel depressed when he couldn't see people. Ever since that little thought broke out, even speaking became awkward and stupid.

He looked at the packaged fresh milk cake and the pot of strawberries on the table, and the hair on his head fell down softly.

Until six o'clock, there was no message on the phone.

He Nian quietly fiddled with the leaves of the strawberries, drew a smiley face on the flower pot with a marker, and finally put the strawberries back on the wooden stand on the rooftop.

The cream on the cake had begun to melt a little, so he simply opened the package and scooped out a large piece with a spoon. The dense cream had a silky texture, and the strawberries were sour and sweet.

Looking up again, the black car stopped steadily at the door. He Nian looked at the man in a suit and leather shoes, licked the cream from the corner of his mouth, and said blankly:

"Sir, I thought you wouldn't come, so...I just ate the cake."

Chu Xijin was amused by him: "The temporary meeting, I'm not sure when it will end, I'm afraid you'll wait too long."

The previous depression was gone, and he felt uncomfortable after the New Year greetings. In the afternoon, he even changed his clothes. The one that his husband bought last time had soft fabrics that stuck to every inch of his skin, making it a little itchy.

He swallowed and tried to calm down:

"Sir, do you want to eat the cake?"

Chu Xijin's eyes fell on the piece of cake, then slowly moved upward, and finally stopped at the corner of the mouth covered in butter during the New Year greetings.

Like a cute little greedy cat, he reluctantly shared his food generously and raised his eyebrows:

"Of course, if you're willing to give me half."

He Nian jumped off the high stool and ran to cut the cake. When he came out with the cake, he saw Mr. Chu sitting by the window, wearing a pressed suit and straight trousers.

The setting sun shines through the glass, and the halo hits that perfect side face, as if the whole world is empty.

Chu Xijin turned his head as if feeling something. The two looked at each other. He was stunned for a moment before he stepped forward and put down the cake in his hand.

"Sir, please try it."

The corners of Chu Xijin's lips curled up slightly. He Nian was afraid that he would be bored, so he ran to make a cup of refreshing lemon tea.

In the evening, Chu Xijin ordered a meal and it was delivered directly to the River View Villa. There was a casserole of chicken soup on the table. The soup was filled with wolfberry and nourishing wild ginseng, and it tasted delicious.

"Come over for dinner."

He Nian ran to the kitchen to get clean bowls and chopsticks, filled two bowls of soup, and sat across from the dining table.

"Sir, this chicken soup is so delicious!"

He lowered his head and sipped the soup in small sips. The moment the man raised his hand, he took out a napkin.

Chu Xijin paused slightly, taking in all the subtle changes. He realized that He Nian had become cautious again. When he got in the car in the afternoon, he fastened his seat belt first thing without waiting for him to remind him.

There are various signs that this is a deliberate attempt to maintain physical distance.

He was still too hasty. He Nian was showing kindness to him but was also afraid. He should give him more space and sense of security to let him think clearly before going further instead of causing psychological burden.

Maybe he didn't sleep well last night, and was frightened by the lightning and thunder. Not long after eating, he felt sleepy. Chu Xijin put down the computer and watched the people on the sofa open and close their eyes for a while.

He walked closer and bent down to take away the book from He Nian's hand. Unexpectedly, the person on the sofa suddenly woke up. The two were so close that their noses were almost touching. He Nian supported his arms and moved back slightly.

Chu Xijin's expression did not change, but he said warmly:

"Don't be anxious. Go to bed when you feel sleepy. You can read whenever you want."

He Nian was so sleepy that he couldn't open his eyes. It was completely dark outside the window. He got up from the sofa and subconsciously wanted to go upstairs. Suddenly he heard the man say:

"Let's go, I'll see you off."

He Nian's back stiffened unconsciously, his steady breathing suddenly tightened, and the tip of his nose was slightly sour, wondering if he had messed up again.