Chapter 1

"But Maya, how can I help you feel better if you don't even tell me what's bothering you?" Riley asked for the fourth time."Riles, I'm okay. Really. I'm always okay. You know that." Maya tried her best but Riley still wasn't convinced.

Maya wasn't okay. She was the farthest thing from okay. She was heart broken. Of course she didn't want Riley to know that, and of course she didn't want Riley to know why.

"Maya, I'm your best friend. I've been you're best friend your entire life. I can see when something has really hurt you. If you really don't want to tell me, I'll leave it alone. But please know that if you want to talk about it, I want to listen."

"I know." Maya faked a smile and walked out of the school in an attempt to get as far from Riley as she could before she started crying uncontrollably.

Riley hated worse than anything to see her best friend upset, especially if she felt she couldn't help her. Maya was a girl with many secrets. But her deepest secret was that she had actually fallen in love with someone. Maya was supposed to be this tough, rebellious, stone-hearted machine. But the truth was she was just a young girl slowly becoming a master of concealing everything she felt.

Farkle had overheard the whole thing. He too could see that Maya was hurting, and he knew why. Earlier that day, Lucas had pulled he and Maya aside to ask them something. Lucas was going to tell Riley that he liked her. He wanted Maya and Farkle's opinion on the way he planned to do it. Ever since Lucas had pulled them aside, Farkle could see that Maya's heart was shattered. He had already known all about Maya's little crush on her best friend. He approached Riley.

"Hey, Riley." Farkle smiled apologetically.

"Hey, Farkle. You heard all that didn't you?" Riley questioned.

"Yeah, but don't worry, Riley. Maya is just afraid to let her feelings show..." Farkle trailed off as his little Minkus brain began devising a plan.

"I know, I figure if she really doesn't want to tell me, she probably has a good reason." Riley said awkwardly as Farkle began staring into space with a devious plotting look on his face.

"Farkle?" no answer.

"uh...Farkle..." still nothing.

"Okay...see ya Farkle..." Riley said as she awkwardly walked away from him.

Riley walked outside, the rain was absolutely pouring down. Despite Riley's best efforts to stay dry, she arrived home soaked to the skin. She spent a lot of time wondering what could be the cause of Maya's sadness, until she received an incredibly unexpected call from Lucas.

Meanwhile Farkle had just arrived at his house and immediately began mixing chemicals and compounds with his expensive chemistry equipment. He knew how Maya really felt, he just needed to get her to tell Riley.