B01C28 - Future plans

"Hah, you recluses are and remain a folk for yourselves. ... What is your goal?"

"Survive as long as possible."

"Ah, survive. The goal of every living being. What about the inn?"

"If it is well received, continue to expand the food offering and serve more guests."

"So first food and then growth. How do you feel about the principality you are in?"

"I have no opinion on it, I don't even know the name."

"The kingdom and its king."

"The same."

"Aron delivered you a second cooking pot. Where is it?"

"Broken while experimenting."

I was immersed in the water source again and was then allowed to gasp for air.

"Another lie. Is it really worth the risk? Maybe someday I won't let you out anymore. You are just a simple, ignorant citizen. You can be replaced at any time. So why do you lie and risk your life for it? Where's the cooking pot?"

If I couldn't tell the truth, then I had to keep quiet.

"Another secret that you are ready to take to your grave. Did you know, that down by your beds there is a wall of earth in the middle of the stone wall. I wonder what's behind it."

"..."

"And I think I'll get the answer to my previous question, if I dig into it."

"..."

"Unfortunately we are not as lowly people as you and get our hands dirty with it. Do you know how annoying it is, to come here in full gear in the summer heat?"

"No."

"Of course not, as if you could afford it. Not a nice experience, I tell you. And then we come to this so-called inn and it's just a dirty cave with straw for beds. Do you know how humiliating it is, to be here?"

"No."

"Just as your roommates seem to be loyal to you, I am loyal to the kingdom and prince. My job is to make sure no one harms him. I don't care, what kind of things you do here, as long as you don't intend to harm us. So, do you have any plans like that?"

"No."

"That is my impression too. There are details you don't want to reveal, but as far as the prince or the kingdom is concerned, you have no intentions. Is anyone from the other countries coming over?"

"So far only adventurers have visited."

"No spies, huh?"

"No."

"I would say, for a small fee, I will let you go. But when I see how much you have, it's not nearly enough. However, you have two interesting glowing crystals. These would make a good apology gift. Mind if I take these?"

"No."

"Wise decision. But don't think that this is the end of the matter. We will continue to keep an eye on you."

The leader stood up.

"Dive him again and then take him to the main cave."

I was allowed to see the water source from the inside one last time and was then taken back. My companions were already sitting on the floor. Hands tied and a gag in her mouth. Their eyes looked pleading, not that they were asking for forgiveness, but more that they were finally allowed to defend themselves. Apparently I was the only one who thought it was pointless. I just shook my head slightly.

"Faster, we don't have all day."

I was simply pushed the rest of the way and landed on the ground next to Bruno.

"Congratulations. You have passed the first round and can experience the morning. I think we're all hoping there won't be a round two, so be nice while we're away. Ah, unfortunately we have to leave urgently, so be so kind and take off the shackles yourself. Praise be to the Prince."

With these words he waved his hand and left the cave, the others following him in silence.

As soon as they left you could hear ice breaking. Sarah had her bonds frozen and then shattered on the ground. She ran to the knife on the table and freed the rest of us.

"Master Marco, ..."

"Sarah, before you continue talking, wait a moment. Bruno, please check whether they are really gone. Sven, you check the rest of the cave to see if anyone is still there."

The two immediately set out to carry out my orders and soon returned to report, that no one was there.

"Master Marco, I have to say, how can you let such a monster go unpunished."

"What do you want me to do? We were hopelessly outnumbered."

"You are the master of a dungeon. Just summon a monster that crushes them like ants."

"Even if he did, do you think the prince would simply forget that he sent his men? How are you going to explain the sudden disappearance to him."

"The doom forest has just claimed another victim."

"And the second control squad is definitely better than the first, right?"

"Then just finish off the prince."

"And then the king, the neighboring countries, oh and while we're at it, the world."

"Hmph, it's too warm up here for me. I have to see how bad the damage is in the cooling chamber."

With that, Sarah stomped downstairs angrily.

"Master, do you really think this is the end of this matter?"

"They took two luminous crystals as collateral. We didn't have enough money, otherwise they would have taken it. So I think we should be out of this for now."

"I see, bribery was once again the only solution."

"What do you mean?"

"Oh nothing. What did they actually want to achieve?"

"Sir, I think this is my fault. With my summoning, I seem to have put us in a bad light."

"It's not your fault, Sven. It would have happened sooner or later anyway. And Bruno, to answer your question - I think they suspected us of espionage. We just appeared in their country out of nowhere and we are becoming more and more numerous. This is understandably suspicious, but it could have been checked much better."

"I hope we never see them again and if we do, then in reversed roles."

An evil smile spread across Bruno's face and he rubbed his hands, as he imagined the situation. Sven seemed to see this more calmly. As if he was already familiar with these practices and only regrets being the trigger.