Chapter 8 Dog Gone It

Kendra's POV:

        I heard a noise outside my house, so  I had to go back to see what made the noise.

        I stood up, brushed the dust off my clothes, and grabbed the backpack.

        I walked home and saw a package on the porch.

         I had not gotten mail in a long time. 

         The bright red eviction notice on the door did not help my mood either.

          I reached down and opened the package.

        Inside was a wad of cash, a pillow, and a note.

       Dear Kendra,

         I know you have not heard from me in years.

        It was because I was in the witness protection program. I  was released from it after the police caught the bad guy, and I testified at the trial.

       I sent you some money cause I had a feeling you might need it.

      Sincerely,

    your big sister,

           I was shocked when I read the note. My sister had sent the package. Wow, talk about a twist in my life. It appeared just when I needed it most.

         I went to the office on my bike and handed over most of the bills.

          It was enough to pay off my debt to the bank. Now, I owned the place.

        What was I to do about the body in the strange place? The place where I had trespassed twice already. How could I explain it without being arrested for ignoring the"Keep out" sign?

         I would leave that for another day. I unlocked the house and stored my backpack inside.

       Oops, what about my bike? I ran to the place again and pushed my bike back to my house. I stored it inside the garage.

       I tried to forget what happened over the last few days as I locked the door and went to take a shower.

       Once done, I put on a fresh outfit. The other clothes I put in the washing machine.

      Now, for a nap. Dog gone it, I can not sleep.

 the story continues in Chapter 9

til then,

bye-bye, little owlets!

Summer out!