Chapter 18: The Broken Mechanic

Start from the beginning

She straightens instantly, "Daniel!" She winces.

The obvious aside, there's no way she can approach him and not lose her image of hostility towards him. That would almost be worse than the look of disgust she'd get from him for even pondering asking.

But, there's no one on base that can repair this device, save for maybe one. Her mind races as she tries to find possible angles.

Maybe he'll do it if I leave it with a letter... But then, he'll know it's someone who treats him badly any other time. Could I ask Gwen to do it? No... She seemed pretty disgusted by my behavior, too.

As she considers possibilities, her eyes water. It's a simple little magical device, but it's the most valuable thing Treia owns, especially since it's the only way to hear her youngest brother's voice now.

She stands up, wiping the tears from her eyes. She hides the device in a shoulder bag and leaves her room. She knows exactly who will be able to help her.

*************

Commander Leiwelles makes a copy of her weekly status report to be sent to the forward operating base that's the main base from which Fort Peony is technically staged. It's not an easy route in or out of the valley, so traffic is minimal, but she does make regular reports to ensure they're up to date on any non-urgent happenings. Her favorite part about her station is that it's quiet, for the most part. She's heard that the far southern base near the ocean is almost continuously hammered with attacks, keeping that fortress at an uneasy state of tension. They lose few troops, but it will undoubtedly turn into a real battle at any time, and has on several occasions.

The demons leave her little corner of the world alone. For that, she is thankful to the gods.

A knock comes at the door. She keeps her sigh internal. Her office has been unusually busy the last few weeks. "Enter."

Treia enters, saluting politely. "Commander; Sergeant Treia."

"What is it now? Giving up already?"

"Commander... I need help."

Leiwelles cocks her head. "Help? With what?"

Treia presents the small magical device, saying, "I... I need Daniel's help. But,... there's no way he'll help me. Not after what I've said. And... if I am to... keep doing it..."
The Commander massages her chin briefly. "I see... You believe Daniel can repair this device?"

Treia looks down. "I know no one else here can. And, I also know we're not likely to see an artisan or artificer all the way out here otherwise. Please... Can you please have him repair this for me? I dropped it, and it stopped working. I'll pay. I'll apologize. I'll even... continue what I've been doing..."

Leiwelles knows what the device is. She doesn't necessarily know what Treia's is loaded with, but they're a common miniature magic device popular with noble families for preserving a small moment in time. It's something to lift one's spirit without fail.

"I see. Quite the predicament."

"I beg of you, Commander. Please do this for me. It's precious to me."

"Yes, yes. I understand. Hate truly is the ugliest gown, is it not?"

"Commander?"

"No one who wears hate wants anyone else's hate to outshine their own. And, no one who wears hate actually wants to see anyone else's in the first place, even if they agree on what they hate. People wear it because it's 'in style', and yet, no one can bear to look at it for too long. So very fascinating..." The Commander trails off as she stares off into the distance, making a poetic and slightly dramatic point.