15 | The Mobay Job

Start from the beginning

My point exactly.

I love Maxe, but fi him decision-making skills kinda questionable.

Memba seh book learning anuh intelligence.

I could tell that Cyrus was trying his best to comfort me, his voice was low and soft, and there was an emphatic look on his face.

I didn't want to make him feel frustrated, or even a little bit annoyed at my objections, but I was struggling with holding my tongue on this.

This was very serious business we were talking about.

Possible jail time fi di dolly...

And mi nuh look good inna jumpsuit.

"Mi know Maxe nuh dunce enuh" I begin to explain, leaning over the corner of the bed.

"But do you really think he can get those documents without any mistakes?" I ask, the uncertainty clear in my voice.

Cyrus stands up from his spot at the office desk, walking over to find a seat next to me.

I shift over on the bed a little to make space for him to sit comfortably, leaving enough distance between the two of us.

Stand on business babe.

"Maxe is my brother, and I trust him to do this well Rai"

"If I didn't, I wouldn't have made the changes" he lets out a deep sigh, rubbing his hands over his thighs.

Part of me wants to believe him.

But I have met Maxe...trust and Maxe don't go together.

I could feel myself being pulled into the deepest parts of my subconscious, as my mind began to battle with my spirit.

A fight between my intuition and my logical compass kicks off, and soon I start to feel myself getting dizzy.

Mi out fi collapse in yah.

"Hey hey..." Cyrus calls out, trying his hardest to bring me back to reality.

"Look at me Sarai"

Doh look pon him girl.

Ah people man, remember?

I feel him cup my face with his hand gently, shifting my gaze so that our eyes make four.

I can't find the strength to pull away.

"I got you"

"Nah fi worry bout nutt'n, yer?"

Mhmmm...

"Yah hear mi babes?" he questions, and I can hear the worry and anxiety in his voice.

Babes?

Him ah get too comfortable wid mi enuh.

Love act like seh him nuh have a gyal.

Chro bombo.

"Yea" I finally reply.

"I can hear you, I just spaced out for a minute"

The sound of my voice was unrecognizable, it came out shaky and awkward.

"Mi ago need yuh fi trust mi on dis one Rai, dats all mi ah ask" he pleads, his hand still on my face.

Rai...

Him ah try use him psyches pon mi.

The warmth from his palms sends an electric shock running down my spine, and soon I feel myself trying to nestle closer to him.