Chapter 4

"You Jessica?" asked a slightly high-pitched voice out of a stocky man in his late forties.

My new boss walked through the spacious lobby of the office building, ignoring the receptionist bobbing her head in answer to his question.

"Yes." I stood up and surpassed his height by about three inches. I was wearing heels, but still, his parents didn't do him any favors. Hopefully he was at least smart or funny.

"Come this way." He had a really thick, slow drawl. From what I had heard so far, it didn't sound Texan, but I was no expert.

I flashed a smile at the receptionist who gave me a thumbs up, then rolled her eyes at Mr. Nash, my new boss. Not a good sign. Still, giving him the benefit of the doubt, we passed into the building through a big archway with crown molding. The inside was a deep tan, almost honey color. There were plants and wall decor that made this place look like a client's reception room in a lawyer's office rather than a low-level office floor.

What was it with me? I didn't have much-next to nothing, really-but everyone and everything around me seemed to have money and an air of elegance or stateliness. I had a feeling I was being set up by the cosmos for a big joke, a joke I wouldn't find amusing.

"This here's yer desk." Mr. Nash gave the cube an impatient sweep of his arm.

It was bigger than average, like those around me; dark wood, which was actually hard plastic, with deep gray cube walls. It had a phone from this decade, a Mac laptop (nice!), a ten-key, shelving to hold personal as well as professional items, and the typical mess of drawers.

"Right then. I'll just take ya on to the break room."

He led me through a maze of deep gray walls, expensive paintings and potted plants to a room with a large wood table, three microwaves, water cooler, two refrigerators, and all the other stuff an office break-room usually has.

This was a good first stop, I needed coffee.

"C'mon," He squawked, heading away.

Geez. Give a gal a second.

We walked down a corridor to the restrooms.

"The water closet for ladies is here." He shoved a tubby finger at the door with "Ladies Room" written on it. I could have figured that one out, but said nothing.

"Right. You think ya got it?"

"Yup, got it. Thanks!" I smiled jubilantly.

"Hmm. Well, Jenny's gonna be trainin' you here shortly. I expect that's all I need to show ya. Can ya find yer way back?"

"I think I can handle it, yes. Thank you."

He looked at me like I had an eye falling out of my head, and then turned his pot belly around and walked away.

Well... all right then.

I made my way back to the kitchen for caffeinated fuel.

As I was pouring coffee into my cup, someone walked in and stood behind me. I finished up by snagging a couple packets of sugar, which were right next to the coffee machine. No powder creamer. You would think a company this nice would have some freaking powder creamer.

"You new?"

I glanced over my shoulder. He was older than me, probably in his forties, with sandy blond hair and leathery skin.

"Yeah," I responded with a half grin.

"Thought so. Everyone looks for the creamer the first time around." He gave a good-natured laugh. "It's in the fridge."