Editorial Feedback

***

We'd like to thank eL. @EliciaHyder for generally being an awesome lady, and specifically for her contribution to the CBC so far, and for writing this excellent chapter on Editorial Feedback.

- Ara & Lucy x

***

Following our maiden voyage with the CBC book club (thank you @MichelleJoQuinn for being our guinea pig!), we are going to make some changes and clarifications on how to comment and leave feedback!

First and foremost, let's all remember: WE ARE HERE TO ENCOURAGE EACH OTHER. Even when we are being helpful, let's stick to the Golden Rule and treat others how we want to be treated.

BEFORE you comment on someone's work, think of your own book. Do you want potential readers to see a list of ways you struggle with grammar on your opening chapter? Nope.

Commenting on the Featured Story

Unless otherwise specified by the featured author, do not leave editorial remarks on the Featured Story. Comments on the featured story should PRAISE the author. Tell them what you liked, what you found interesting, what characters you identified with, etc. This is the place for encouragement, not critique! **Praise in public; Critique in private!**

How to leave editorial feedback

Editorial feedback is constructive criticism of the author's work: notes about grammar, POV, plot holes, sentence structure... basically, all of the ideas you have to make the author's work better. DO NOT LEAVE THESE COMMENTS ON THE FEATURED STORY.

Instead, on the CBC Review Book the following question will be asked in the discussion section for each story:

How can I make this story better?

This will be one of the five questions asked by the Featured Author. This means that it is an optional discussion question that you do not have to answer.

If you do have advice that you would like to give, then you must make notes as you read the Featured Story and share them ONLY here in the book club.

Yes, it is more work for the reader, BUT... IF YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO DO THE WORK, YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS CRITIQUING THE STORY.

Critiquing is delicate work, and there is a correct way of doing it:

- Tell the writer how they can make their story even better--not what they did wrong.

- Be positive and helpful.

- Remember that your story may be put up for review in the near future (i.e. that Golden Rule!).

TO SUM THINGS UP:

1. Leave praise and encouragement ONLY in the comments of the Featured Story. Tell them what you like and how they succeeded in telling their story.

2. Before you post a comment, ask yourself if you would want the same comment posted on YOUR story.

3. Use the Review Book to leave CONSTRUCTIVE feedback on editorial issues.

***

To confirm that you have read the contents of this chapter, and understand and agree to its contents, please vote on this chapter (press that little star) and comment with two examples of editorial feedback, and where you should post editorial feedback if you have some for the featured story/author.

***