The Caravan

The season was turning, bringing an unpleasant heat and humidity. Maomao reflected on how quickly time passed as she gathered up fragrant herbs to use to ward off the bugs.

"I think it's time to change the wardrobe over," Hongniang, Consort Gyokuyou's chief lady-in-waiting, said, and if she thought it was time, then it was time. Thus the ladies-in-waiting found themselves laboring away among the clothing.

"So many dowdy old fashions!" Yinghua huffed, standing in front of a dresser. She, Maomao, and Ailan were handling this job while Guiyuan looked after the young princess. "Ailan, grab that thing on the topmost shelf for me!" Yinghua instructed, craning her neck to look up at the shelf. Ailan was the tallest of them, a fact she was self-conscious about but which was quite convenient for reaching things in high places. After she had dragged a trunk down from the top of the shelf, the (rather shorter) Maomao and Yinghua inspected the contents. They sorted the clothing into different categories and put them on poles to air out in the shade.

"Hmm. I guess this one wouldn't be too embarrassing," Yinghua said. She was sorting the clothes into those in which one could still be caught dead and those in which one could not. To Maomao, all the outfits looked equally sumptuous, but Yinghua was accustomed to the finer things and proved more discriminating. "This sort of thing used to be really popular once. But it's better to avoid fads. Once they go, you're left with stuff you can't use."

Maomao took the outfits deemed no longer viable and stuffed them back into the chest, then trundled into the hallway with it. These garments may have been old or outdated, but they had still belonged to one of the upper consorts. They were made of the finest material, and would be reworked or repaired and then gifted to other people. Not to the ladies-in-waiting of the Jade Pavilion personally, but rather to their families. Ladies-in-waiting sometimes received hair sticks or other accessories, but clothing like this was not something one could get away with parading around the rear palace in. The craftsmen would rework the outfits, and in their new forms they would be distributed in Gyokuyou's hometown.

Pulling down another box, Ailan said, "You know, I heard new ladies-in-waiting will be coming before long," as if the thought had just occurred to her. "With Lady Gyokuyou pregnant, we'll need more hands around here, but it would attract attention if we were the only place to get new women. So instead they're going to give all the consorts a chance to expand their retinues."

Yinghua's mouth hung open slightly at that. "What, all of a sudden? I mean, I'm happy to hear that, but..."

"They found a good reason," Ailan said. "Think about it. When one consort shows up with more than fifty attendants, how are the other women supposed to feel?"

"Yeah, I see what you mean," Yinghua said, her face darkening briefly.

Maomao, too, understood what Ailan was talking about. Or rather, whom: Consort Loulan, who had entered the rear palace with tremendous fanfare. For the Emperor's favorite consort, by contrast, to have a measly five women simply didn't look good.

"Did she even try to make do with fewer women?" said Yinghua.

"Watch it, Yinghua, or you'll get another taste of Hongniang's iron hammer," Ailan responded. Yinghua promptly clapped her hands over her mouth. Maomao, meanwhile, concentrated single-mindedly on putting the unwanted clothes in chests and carrying them out. In this way they carried on, chatting and working, until they had discarded almost half the summer clothes.

"We did get rid of a lot," Maomao said, puzzled, "but how will we manage now?"

"Not to worry," Ailan said with a smile. "We've already commissioned a few new sets of clothes from the craftsman."