13. A Date in Kansas.

Note: will add quote soon!

Chikamharida's POV.

The door creaked and then, footsteps followed, slow, purposeful and forcing my body to turn and watch the intruder.

I'd gotten so used to my presence and silence— there wasn't anyone else who had the ability to upturn my solitude until Praise who I also lost and now, Adele who's got some secret rebellion against her mother. A familiar silhouette, brightened by the florescence from the hallway, pushed through the door in a flowing gown— probably worth my annual feeding —and low flat heels, and when she was fully in, she shut the door gently behind her.

The commander turned on the switch, the light from the window apparently unable to properly illuminate Adele's pink room. Her eyes scanned Adele who was beneath the covers and then they spread through the remaining of the room.

"You're here again," the commander said, looking into my eyes in the penetrating way she does. "I'm starting to think you wander every room looking for things to take. Or do you already have a shortcut to everywhere in here that we don't know of?"

"I'm your granddaughter's nanny ma'am, anywhere she is, I am," I said, trying my best to appear nonchalant, like I wasn't really fed up with the woman's drama.

"It's how you pretend to be clueless for me," the commander said, walking to Adele's bed, sitting and tapping her gently on her arm.

"Eleni," she called out in a voice soft enough to wrap a newborn. I watched from my place by the window, seeing no reason to interrupt a mother and her grandchild as Adele turned and opened her eyes to a bright room then realization dawned at her when she met her grandmother's patronizing stare.

From the smile on her grandmother's face, it seemed like I was the only one who heard Adele's low curse.

"Nana,"she said, yawning and recomposing herself. "You're here early."

"No, you woke late Eleni," the commander said. "I dressed up and after waiting for you to show up, which you didn't, I decided to come wait here till you got ready."

"Why don't you go rest in you room Nana, so I'll come meet you when I'm done."

"You and I both know you'll run away Eleni," the commander said with a soft smile. "And I don't trust your ...nanny to bring you to me. I'll wait here till you're done and your nanny wouldn't follow us to the church to attend service."

I caught Adele's gaze on me as she sat up. "Nana, she didn't steal your sand vase."

"You've got no proof on that Eleni."

"And you also don't have proof that she stole it Nana. I only hope that you'll apologize to her when you find out the real thief "

At Adele's words, the commander sent me one of those searing looks in replacement of her probably throttling me before ordering Adele to go get ready so that they could go to church early. It was like I could predict her next move because immediately Adele left, she came to me by the window, stood by my side so it appeared that we were both admiring the green scenery out.

I'd been clutching the window sill hard, but the commander's presence induced an extra strain on my muscles so it was almost like I wanted to break the wall.

I couldn't let her know how deeply her words affected me or how cruelly her hatred seared my skin. I remained silent, staring at the trees out, at the green hills and at the rapidly setting sun.

"I hate that you've bonded with my Eleni but at the same time I can't stop it. Eleni doesn't just defend anyone; she's like her father with that and that's how I know you are special. I still believe you stole my pot but for her sake I'm willing to give you a chance. You're relieved of your duties for the day— my granddaughter is with me, she's safe with me."