chapter 8

Later that night, I stuck my head outta the window. Jack was sitting on the fire escape.

"Hi. Can I talk to ya?" I asked him.

"What do ya want?" He snapped.

"I wanted to ask ya, what if I liked Spot?"

"I kinda already figured that at the diner."

"Why? 'Cause of what he said? Nothing happened between us. All we did was talk. I wanted to talk to ya first." I touched his arm.

"Ya know how I feel 'bout it." He looked at me.

"What's so bad about him? Why don't ya want me to be with 'em?" I asked.

"He can't be trusted! I don't want him to hurt ya." He looked over at the building across the street.

"I can take care of myself, Jack. I can make my own decisions, too. I'm just hope you change your mind. I gotta get goin'." I ran down the fire escape and disappeared.

I quietly snuck up the stairs and saw that Spot wasn't there yet. I took a deep breath and lit a few candles.

I don't care what anyone says. I like Spot. He's tough on the outside and sweet on the inside. He cares about me.

Spot called up the stairs,"Hello?"

"Up here!" I called to him.

He entered the room that I was in and looked at the candles.

"Is this a date or somethin'?" He smirked.

"Don't flatter yourself, newsie." I wrapped my arms around his neck.
"I talked to Jack and from now on, I make my own decisions."

He smiled and put his hands on my waist, "Good, cause I've been wantin' to kiss ya all day."

He leaned in and our lips connected. I felt safe as I kissed him and fireworks were going off in my head. I never wanted to stop.

I laughed, "Now that we've covered that, tell me somethin' about yourself."

"Okay, I think you're the most beautiful girl the the world." He looks into my eyes.

"Thanks." I blushed. "So, you got any family?"

"Nope. My parents died when I was a baby." He sat closer to me. "And you?"

I cleared my throat,"No. My parents are dead and I don't have any siblings."

"Oh. Sorry." He said.

I laid my head on his shoulder. "Wanna know a little secret?"

"What?" He said.

"I was the one you met that night. You shot Oscar Delancey with your slingshot. You saved me." I looked at him.

"Don't ya think I know that? A pretty face like yours, I'd never forget." He smiled and kissed me again. "Another thing, does this make ya my girl?"

I smiled,"I'd like to think so."
I took off his cap and put it on my head. We started talking' bout everything: friends, hobbies, secrets.

A few hours later, I heard two male voices. They sounded drunk.

"Spot! Do ya hear that?" I blew out the candles and collected my things. He got up and grabbed my hand.

"Come on." He opened the window and jumped out.
I gasped and looked down. He motioned for me to jump, too.

"Are you crazy? I'm not jumping!" I whispered.

"Come on! Live a little!" He yelled.

Honestly, I did trust him, I knew everythin' about him. But, catching me from an 8 foot drop? I don't know.

The voices were getting closer. I had no choice. I stuck me feet out and jumped.